Chapter 41: The One who bears Power

I scrunched my eyes and rubbed them. Unlike the world I just came from, here was bright. Helaki and Joman had been taken and I really had no use for them. But who knows what the elders were doing right now at the moment?

Despite my bitter judgement I went after them following their scents. They weren't that far for sure. As I ran I felt rejuvenated. The world of the gods and spirits had done me good. I hadn't felt like this for long and I could feel my body eager to change into it's tiger form.

I ran to the foyer of the palace to find Joman and Helaki chained and being pulled away despite their protests." I'm here!" I shouted and everyone paused what they were doing. Elder Mukuka was smiling creepily.

"Ah, tiger virago, you finally show your face."

"I wasn't going to let you all start the party without me." All the elders all frowned at me, as if I had said something terribly wrong.

"You do know what we are going to do." Helaki's dad said sadly. I was pretty sure he didn't want to do any of this.

"Yeah, you want to mess with me. I have a message from the gods : you have disobeyed us for too long. Whenever we choose a human, we make him or her a demigod. And instead of respecting her and bowing down to her, you shunned her." The elders started to laugh. I could feel my anger rising but I pushed it back down. I was tired of not being taken seriously. I had done everything to be like these people. I accepted their ways without question, I shut my parents out because they kept on intervening with my duties. I even started to wear their clothes.

I learnt their language, I abandoned everything about my life before the tiger and they still didn't accept me? I felt my anger burn slowly rising up. I watched as the claws grew out and my hair became more wilder. For the first time, claws came out on my feet and I felt a tail swish behind me.

"You have disobeyed us, the ones who gave you a better life. You ought to be punished." I realized that the voice coming out of my mouth wasn't only my own but other voices.  Light was surrounding me. Other tigers started to surrounded me including the tiger with black and white fur and pink eyes, the albino, Kaweme. I watched as the elders cowered in fear and  they all bowed down including all the warriors and Helaki and Joman.

"We are sorry. We did not believe that you had chosen an outsider to take care of us."

"I am no outsider. I am the descendant of Yokoa. And you will be punished for your treacherous acts." I told them. I felt the power slowly disappear and everything of mine came back to how they were. Helaki gasped and when I turned around I found my mother staring up at me with tears in her eyes.

I frowned. What was happening? She ran up to me and hugged me tightly. She kept on whispering apologies. I didn't know what brought this but I didn't  hug her back. I pushed her away quickly.

"Mom, what has brought all of this?"

"They told me you were hurt." She said still sobbing.

"Who told you?"

"The animals." I looked at her like she was crazy. What was she talking about?

"What do you mean by that?"

"Roxella I..." She started and held my breath waiting for the worst." I can speak to animals." I shook my head. She was lying to me. She had to be. Or maybe I was dreaming. After all this avoiding me, treating me as if I wasn't their daughter. She was messing with me. " Your middle name is Zangi  but your father didn't like so we never call you that. He later changed the name to Quinn, the name of your grandmother on your father's side."