22 | ℓeт ιт oυт

You give me life

And lots of oxygen

Chapter 22 ~ Let It Out

     Jamie Myers

"No, a little bit more to the left!" I instructed in a mighty, authoritative voice, like I knew what I was doing. In reality, though, I couldn't have cared less about the position of the Christmas tree, but I did take pleasure in watching Scar's brow furrow in concentration as he tried to move the tree into the right spot. "Nah, you went too far. Go back to the right."

Scar sighed in frustration. "I didn't even move it yet!"

I rubbed my chin as I pretended to ponder the endless possibilities of the perfect Christmas tree position. "Hmm, something's off. I think you need to bring it to the back some more."

He threw his head back, groaning loudly as he wrapped his arms around the branches and tugged it further into the corner of the room. "Is it good now?"

"The leaves look uneven. Maybe you should turn it around."

He sent me an exasperated look. "Jamie."

That was when I burst into complete hysteria, doubling over and wheezing so hard that my stomach began to hurt. For the past week, it had been like this. Scar would take everything too seriously and I would take advantage of that fact. Even though he should've been aware of my tendency to joke around, he would fall for it every single time. "Sorry, I couldn't help myself."

He rolled his eyes at me and released the tree, cleaning his sap-stained hands on his jeans. "Asshole."

Snatching the plastic bag filled with nifty Christmas decorations that we had bought from the dollar store and rummaging my hand through its contents, I fished out a very cheap and very shitty mistletoe and grabbed onto Scar's waist, tugging him closer to me. "You can't stay mad at me." I held the mistletoe above our heads.

His gaze narrowed slightly. "Mistletoe kisses don't work unless it's Christmas."

I shrugged as I placed a quick peck on his lips. "Too bad."

Both Bryan and Ryan came storming into the living room with heavy steps and running around in circles from the excitement of celebrating their first Christmas. "Jamie, can we decorate the tree now?" Ryan asked me with big, pleading brown eyes.

"Yeah, can we?" Bryan chimed in with an equally desperate voice.

"Of course you can!" I exclaimed as I knelt down to their height. "All the stuff are in those bags over there. Make it as crazy and wacky as you want it."

Both twins wrapped their tiny arms around me. "Thanks Jamie. You're like the best big brother ever!" Bryan squealed with excitement before taking his brother's hand and pulling him towards the tree.

Initially, I was against having Bryan and Ryan move in. It wasn't that I didn't want them to, but I was scared that Janice might do something drastic if she found out all of her foster kids were practically running away from her. Everything seemed to work out perfectly, though, because when I told Janice about our impending departure, she responded with a dry laugh and a, "It's about time. I was getting tired of taking care of you rotten kids."

I refrained from retaliating by telling her that, in fact, she didn't really take care of us. But I figured if I wanted to have my face remain in one piece, then it was better if I kept silent.

I snapped out of my thoughts when I felt Scar's teeth nibbling on my ear. "You're the best big brother ever, Jamie," Scar purred into my ear in a raspy, seductive voice.