14 | ғαℓℓ

If I fall for you

Would you fall too?

Chapter 14 ~ Fall

     Scar Patterson

I was positive that the burnt cookies would be completely un-edible, but I'd be damned if I let them go to waste. Grabbing the tray of cookies and the two glasses of milk, I started to make my way towards Jamie. In a blink of an eye, he charged towards me and tackled me to the floor, spilling both the milk glasses and the cookies all over the both of us.

"Dude!" I snapped at him. "What the hell?"

Jamie's lips stretched into a grin. "You're alive! I thought you were dead, oh my god ... This is so weird! Like who would've thought that we would actually meet again. It's so insane. I have no idea why I didn't notice before I mean, your eyes..."

I placed my hands on his chest and shoved him away from me. "What are you talking about?"

He plopped down on the floor beside me. "When your dad got into that car crash, I was there. I helped you out of the car."

I stared back at him, unblinking. Before I hit my head, I recovered the memory of a little boy saving me that day, and he did look an awful lot like Jamie. But I didn't really think it would be him. What were the chances of that happening?

I ran a lazy hand through my hair and gazed at him. "You left me there," I spat. "You said you were coming back for me. You didn't." I could feel my throat getting dry from every word I spoke as I tried to fight the tears forming in my eyes. "My dad would be still be alive if you came back for us!"

Jamie's eyes widened in shock. "No, he wouldn't. He was already dead when I rescued you, Scar." He placed a tentative hand on my shoulder, but I shrugged it off. "Scar, don't be mad. If it wasn't for me, you'd be dead."

"You should've let me die!" I raised my voice unintentionally. "I lived my whole life thinking that it was my fault. Do you have any idea how much that hurts me? No, you don't. Because your parents are still alive!" I struggled to get back to my feet as I slid my damp shirt over my head and threw it to the floor.

Jamie remained seated on the floor with his ice blue eyes looking at me in disbelief. "Seriously?" He questioned, as if I was the one who offended him. "The fact that you're so oblivious to everything makes me laugh."

I furrowed my brows. Was he really trying to make jokes right now? "Oh, so you think this is funny?"

Jamie, still not making a move to stand up, started to fiddle with his fingers as he glanced down at the floor. It looked as though he was silently debating an issue in his head, before he finally looked at me with a half smile on his face. "I got into a car crash that day, too," he finally said. "Our cars collided with each other."

I could feel my heart rate slowing down as I took in his words. Was that really what happened?

"My parents and I were on our way to pick up Jillian from her ballet practice," he continued. "I guess it's safe to say that we didn't make it."

I lowered myself to my knees, becoming interested in his story. "Jamie."

"When I regained consciousness, I saw that my mom and dad were still alive but they were stuck. Like the seatbelt jammed or something, I don't really remember. My mom, being the doctor that she is, wanted me to check up on the other car we collided with since I was the only one who was able to get out of the car. She wanted me to assess the damages and report back to her."

"So I did. I went through the woods, tracing all the tire tracks and snapped tree branches, and I found you. The crash was nasty. There were tree branches impaling the glass and metal tearing away from the car. I was able to get you out of the car, but your dad was already dead. There was tree branch impaled into his neck, and even if he was still alive, I was too small to get him out of the car."