03 | ѕυnвυrn

When we never even tried

We never even talked

Chapter 03 ~ Sunburn

       Scar Patterson

To sum it all up, I'd say day one of Carnival Week went extremely well.

As I slid my thumbs over the edges of the dollar bills I'd received for that day, a huge grin spread across my face. Maybe I was completely breaking the rules and being utterly selfish for not donating the money to a charity, but I needed the money more than anyone else.

Not only did we need money for new uniforms, it wouldn't hurt to have some extra cash to spend on car repairs. I've been spending the last year trying to push my Pop's piece of shit car through its limits and it would help to have a sweet ride to impress my friends. In addition to that, being Francesca's boyfriend came with a price and pretty soon, I'll be going into debt.

Once I finished counting the money, I stuffed it back into the collection box and shoved it inside of my gym bag. Pulling the strap over my shoulder and giving Trey a slight nod, we began to walk alongside each other towards the exit marked by a tall gate. "Hey, where's Frankie?"

Trey gave me a sideways smile. "Funny how you think I know where your girlfriend is."

My brows knitted together as I glanced down to the green grass, stubbing my feet deeper with every step. "Huh," I huffed in a disapproving manner. "Ten bucks says she's hooking up with Tanner from the lacrosse team."

Trey's dark eyes narrowed. "What makes you say that?"

"He sent me a death threat," I said simply, shrugging my shoulders to show it wasn't a big deal. "And he's probably the only guy she hasn't hooked up with."

He thought it over for a moment. "I'd bet you, but you don't need any more money. I saw that fifty in the box. Who was so generous to donate that much money to a worthy cause?" A coy smile curved his lips as he used a mocking tone to tease me.

I rolled my eyes deep into my sockets and let a slight groan escape my lips. I didn't want to be reminded of that weird kid who insisted that I kissed him. Sure, he left a great tip, but he annoyed me and I didn't even know the kid. He claimed to not be gay, but there was no way a dude would want to kiss another dude unless they enjoyed taking it up the ass. "It was some girl," I lied easily. "She was a cute blonde."

Trey responded with a big grin that showed he approved, but didn't say much after that. Instead, we both walked out of the carnival gates in silence and headed towards my old beat-up Jeep. The paint had chipped severely and looked more like a nasty brown than the bright orange it was supposed to be. There were several dents along the bumper and hood from previous run-ins with other cars and the leather seats were torn from the heat.

It wasn't the sexiest of cars but it was my dad's car before he died and Mom thought it'd be suiting if I drove it, considering the fact that she wasn't going to buy me a car of my own.

As I circled around the Jeep to get to the driver's side, my eyes caught the stare of a familiar blond-haired boy who had his leg propped up against a shiny, black Mustang. As soon as we made eye contact, his lips stretched into a menacing grin.

I tried to hide the fact that my heart probably stopped beating at that second and scrambled into the driver's seat, turning the car on and feeling the engine roar beneath my feet. There was something about that boy - something undeniably weird. "Trey," I said after clearing my throat and looking over the passenger side where he was just settling in. "Do you know that guy?"