10 | coℓ∂ coғғee

Tell me if you need a loving hand

To help you fall asleep tonight

Chapter 10 ~ Cold Coffee

     Jamie Myers

Leave it to Max to ruin a perfectly good almost semi-date with Scar.

Just when I was finally peeling back the layers of the clouded mystery that Scar seemed to be made of, Max just had to show up and be, well, Max. The look on Scar's face when Max forced my hand down his pants was what impelled me to run out of the ice cream shop to avoid further embarrassment. He was trying to be nice by respecting my supposed-"relationship" with Max, but I knew he was completely and utterly disgusted by it.

And somehow, that bothered me. I've been bullied my whole life for far worse reasons but I never bothered to care. Yet now, I cared way too much about what Scar thought of me. That was exactly why I never got involved with football jocks with pretty eyes.

As if sensing my distress, Scar appeared at my side and took a seat on the sidewalk beside me, letting out a slight grunt as he did so. "Is there a reason why you ran out, leaving me alone with your creepy obsessive boyfriend?" He nudged my shoulder in a playful manner, but I didn't find it funny.

"He's not my boyfriend," I said through gritted teeth.

His facial expression morphed into that of confusion. "How does that stuff work, anyway? Like how do you guys decide who the girl is and who the guy is in the relationship?"

Sighing heavily, I buried my head into my hands and mumbled, "There is no girl, Scar. That's the whole point of being gay."

He was momentarily dumbfounded, allowing silence to settle between us before he opened his mouth to speak again. "Well, yeah, but you can't just have two guys together. One has to be submissive. It's just the way it is. One has to be masculine and one has to be feminine, or else it doesn't work."

Releasing yet another sigh, I rubbed my temples in frustration. He was wrong on so many levels, but I was too frustrated to care. "Please stop talking."

"Dude, I'm just trying to understand you better."

I sighed once again. "You don't need to understand me, Scar," I spat at him in a bitter tone. "You don't. Don't pretend like you give a shit about me, because you don't so just stop. Okay? Stop."

A frown creased his forehead as he pulled his brows together in confusion, his turquoise eyes staring back at me in bewilderment. "Jamie, what's wrong with you? Is it Max? You were fine, like, two seconds ago. We're friends now, remember? You can tell me if there's something wrong."

It was the way he said it that made me want to throw my arms around him and never let him go. Or maybe there wasn't a special way he said it. Maybe my mind was just playing tricks on me because even my brain couldn't register why I was feeling this way about Scar.

He placed his hand down on the sidewalk and for a brief moment, our fingers brushed. The contact sent shivers down my spine for a mere second before it angered me.

I yanked my hand away from him and gazed back at him with pure horror and shock. "That is what's wrong with me. You're acting like you like me by caring about my feelings and wanting to drive me everywhere like some damn chauffeur. When in reality, the only reason you're willing to be seen with me is because I made up a stupid lie to get you to kiss me."

All concern drained from his face at that very instant and his wild eyes grew hard. "What?"

I almost regretted saying it. I never planned on telling Scar the truth, but it didn't matter anymore. The real truth was that he was desperately in love with Francesca. Soon enough, he would go back to being her boy toy and he and Trey will become best friends again. Everything will go back to the way it was and I'd be left with nothing but my sister and foster family.