Phase 14

My index fingers twitched. My heart jumped. My lungs gasped.

And my eyes shot open.

My heartbeat raced as I observed my environment. I sat in a plain, wooden chair. A bright light sprayed directly down on me from the ceiling. Nothing sat in front or around me, other than the door in the center of my range of vision.

I tried to move my mouth, but then I realized it was stuffed with some kind of cloth, which was tied around at the back of my head. I then attempted to rip it away, but also noticed that my hands were tied together at the wrists, behind the back of the chair. I looked down at my lap and saw that another cloth was wrapped tightly around my thighs.

While thinking of my next move, a pair of footsteps crept up by my right side.

I already knew who it was by the echo of her sharp high heels.

“Well… Look who decided to ‘show-up’…” The nurse proclaimed. She walked around to face my body directly. She appeared to be snapping on a pair of thick, blue latex gloves, which I had never witnessed her wearing any time in the past.

“I wouldn’t want you to miss the fun…”

I narrowed my eyes towards her. I could practically see her smirk through her medical mask.

As soon as she finished applying her gloves, she reached around my chair in one, swift movement. She then pulled forward a silver cart, and positioned it in front of my body and to her right.

Only a well stained cloth and a fairly familiar knife were laid on top of it.

“I think you might have left this behind,” The nurse stated, reaching down and nabbing the knife from the cart. She brought it up to her eye level, and studied it closely.

“You know, Skye…” She continued, placing her free hand onto her hip. “I thought you were ready to move on to your next phase of training…” She removed her free hand from its comfortable position to grab the cloth from the cart. She brought it up to level with the knife, and began to wipe away at the weapon’s already pristine blade.

“But, clearly…” She added after a few seconds, slowing her hand’s cleaning motions. She then cocked her head over her shoulder at me, and finished her words. “You aren’t.”

Unable to protest, I silently eyed her as she set both the cloth and the knife back onto the cart, where they belong. She then grabbed the edges of the cart with both her hands, and leaned her body against it.

“What’s it goanna take, Skye?” She inquired of me, fully aware that I had no capability of responding. “What’s it goanna take to make you break?”

I continued to stilly stare at her, only moving through my motions of heavy breathing.

“You’re obviously mad. You’re upset. But…” The nurse continued, now streaking her gloved fingers over the knife set before herself. “You’re not pissed.”

The room instantly fell into a deeper silence than it already had. My eyes never left the nurse’s complexion, although hers had traveled from mine to the knife a while ago.

After a few more heavy breaths, the nurse decided to pipe up again.

“But, that’s about to change…”

Suddenly, the nurse straightened her posture, and lifted the knife from the tray. She swiftly removed the cloth from its place as well, and then kicked the cart out of her way. It practically flew to the other side of the room, and landed out of my sight.

My vision was still locked on the nurse’s physique as she approached me from my left side.

She began to pointlessly wipe the knife’s blade, once again.