Phase 7

I instantly felt like swallowing my words. The doctor comfortably positioned himself in front of me, holding the knife away from his body and towards me instead. By now, the nurse has released her grip on me and I could once again cover up my injured eye.

For a short moment I was tempted to take the knife, but I resisted this initial urge.

“Why can’t you just do for me? You’ve both been perfectly capable of inflicting every other type of unthinkable pain to me…” I half-snapped out, once again without thinking.

“Don’t get smart now, Skye…” The nurse mumbled from beside me. The doctor plainly and firmly held his ground, not responding to me but instead just staring directly at me.

I looked quickly from him to the knife, then to him, and back to the knife again.

I reached out my right hand and took it, uncovering my eye in the process.

I watched both the nurse and doctors’ movements in my lessened peripheral vision. They both seemed calm, and both put their hands down by their sides.

I could tell they were focusing their eyes on me and the knife.

I slowly and gently brought the knife blade down by my left hand. I resituated it in my right as I did so, preparing myself to rest the blade on the middle-side area of my left pinky finger.

I struggled to keep my right eye closed and my left open and observant, but I could still see no new movement by anyone around me.

I bit down on my bottom lip, counted to three in my mind, and slowly inhaled. 

Without a warning, I quickly threw my arm holding the knife back and then forwards again in one swift motion.

I stabbed the doctor, right in the left side of his hard abdomen.

“AH!” He yelled out in pain. The nurse beside me made a loud gasp, then instantly rushed herself over to his other side.

I let my hand slip away from the knife handle, leaving it where it belonged. My head snapped in the direction of Jasmine, and I returned my hand once again to my right eye.

“Run!” I shouted at her. She didn’t hesitate to obey my command.

I looked back hurriedly to see the doctor begin to fall backwards, and the nurse desperately trying to stop him from doing so. Jasmine ran past us speedily, sprinting her way towards the cracked door at the end of the hallway. The one that supposedly led out.

I immediately ran after her.

“SKYE!” The nurse screeched out, not able to immediately run after me this time.

I hastily followed Jasmine into the room and slammed the door behind me. I attempted to lock it, but I quickly learned that I couldn’t without a key.

We only had limited time before the nurse would come in.

“Where’s the exit?” I inquired, walking around the room in a fast fashion.

The room looked almost like a normal office, with tons of papers thrown everywhere and overflowing cabinets against every inch of every wall. A close to giant desk sat at the back of the room, where I had previously seen the nurse and doctor sitting. It too was completely covered with a mess of papers.

“I don’t know,” Jasmine mumbled, only loud enough for me to barely understand.

“Ugh,” I uttered out from frustration.

I kept pacing around the room, only now I began banging on the cabinets and stomping on different areas of the floor to see if I could maybe hear any hollow sounds.

I found nothing.

“SKYE!” The nurse’s voice screamed from the hallway. I could hear her stomping footsteps begin to come towards the door.

I alerted my attention towards her, instead of focusing on the search for an exit. I practically ran back to the unlocked door and grabbed for the handle, an instinct I’ve seemed to perform numerous times lately.

“Open… This door…” The nurse more calmly said from the other side. She barely even attempted to jiggle the handle away from my grip.

I thought about giving some sort of reply back to her, but I instead remained silent.

“Skye…” She continued, her voice steady but still loud. I ignored her again.

“S-Skye, I don’t fe-” A different, much softer voice said from behind me. I turned my body quickly, keeping my hand securely on the door handle, just in time to witness Jasmine faint and collapse to the floor.

“Jasmine!” I yelled. I instinctively ran towards her, removing my hand from the door handle in the process. I approached her limp body swiftly, and crouched down on the floor beside her to make sure she was okay. I reached down and grabbed her wrist, then pushed one of my fingers down onto her skin to check for a pulse.

I couldn’t find one right away.

I quickly rolled her over slightly, and looked her over to see if she was breathing. It was difficult to see with only one good eye, but I could tell her chest was rising and falling at a very slow rate. I breathed a tiny sigh of relief.

Suddenly and without warning, I felt a hand grab my left arm tightly at my elbow.

“Ah!” I screeched out, whipping my head around to come face-to-face with the nurse.

She gave me a silent look, and I could see that her eyes were actually filled with tears. I didn’t look her over very long, though, because she began to squeeze the inside of my elbow joint.

“E-” I muttered out a low sound, and then looked down at her tightened fingers grasping me. She was pushing hard on a pressure point, and it was beginning to make me feel weak.

I reached down with my opposite hand and attempted to push her away, but her hand wouldn’t budge.

“What’s wrong, Skye? Can’t seem to ever get away?” She softly said, almost in a teasing manner. Her voice almost quavered at the beginning of her words, but she quickly stiffened it out by the time she finished speaking. 

I eventually stopped my attempts to push her arm back, and acted as if I had finally given up.

She loosened her grasp on me a tad before speaking up again.

“Good girl, Skye….” She started slowly. I looked back up at her face before she finished.

“Now, come on, I think it’s about time I gave you a more challenging test…”