Phase 8

The nurse tugged me forward slightly, but I pushed myself back.

“Don’t be difficult…” She muttered out, pulling at my elbow again. I resisted her force, again.

“What test is it going to be this time?” I asked, keeping my voice low and partially calm.

The nurse focused her eyes back towards mine, but only for a moment. She then seemed to look somewhere behind me, but I couldn’t tell where. I eyed her carefully as she leisurely reached into one of the side pockets of her lab coat. Her other hand also began to slowly release me as she did so.

“This,” She mumbled, in an almost non-audible voice.

She suddenly threw my elbow back at me and whipped out her right hand from her coat pocket, which now held the handgun she had used on me before. She jumped up from the crouch-like position she was in, and held the gun out in front of her face.

But, it wasn’t pointed at me.

“Wha-” I slowly began, turning my head at the same rate as my words into the direction she was aiming the gun.

It was pointed right at Jasmine’s unmoving body.

My head snapped itself back around immediately.

“Don’t,” I declared, surprising firmly.

“Why not?” The nurse questioned. “Won’t it put her in a better place?”

I opened my mouth to reply, but not a single sound escaped. I blinked my one good eye rapidly a few seconds, and made a realization.

She was actually right.

I looked down and around hastily, feeling my breaths pick up a little.

The nurse suddenly clicked the gun trigger into place, making a loud pck sound. I shot my head back towards her instantaneously. I could now see her every move, and I was ready to stop her at any moment.

I alertly watched her as she slid her index finger over the trigger. She wiggled it into a comfortable position, taking her time as she did so. Her face was near emotionless during this entire process.

My lips made a tiny movement, but I couldn’t bring myself to actually verbalize anything.

The nurse seemed completely focused on the gun, even though her extended arm was beginning to shake a little. I, on the other hand, was beginning to relax my muscles slightly and leaned back a bit. I bit down hard on my bottom lip, as I always did.

I decided I was going to let her shoot.

I came close to closing my eyes when they saw her start to move her finger over the trigger, again. She had to fix her aim as she did so, since her shaky arm had made her lose it before. My muscles quickly tensed up once again when I observed her index finger slowly begin to pull the trigger back.

I remained still for what seemed like forever, until I finally gave in and stopped her.

“NO!” I yelled, shooting myself up to my feet. I barely had to push myself forward in order to get in front of her. She kept her finger tightened on the trigger, so I reached out and shoved her hand off to the side. She finally pulled the trigger all the way back, but I had forced her aim away and towards the wall. The bullet made a loud surge of noise as it bounced off the floor.

The nurse watched it ricochet, and then returned her full attention to me. 

I took two steps backwards, putting some space in between us, momentarily.

“A bullet would have been a much painless death than allowing her to slowly bleed out for days,” The nurse spoke calmly. The gun now dangled in her hand, resting close to her side.

“She’s not going to die… At all…” I argued back, trying to talk through a dry mouth, “She’s… She’s fine…” I tried desperately to assure myself.

“She… Is certainly not fine,” The nurse replied, shaking her head slowly as she did so. Her eyes seemed to wander off of me a moment and looked towards Jasmine.

“Y-You just have to l-let her go,” I stuttered out. I didn’t mean to stutter, but it was becoming difficult to speak.

The nurse took longer to respond now, her eyes now entirely set on Jasmine behind me. She eventually gave a small shake of the head as a reply.

“Please… Just… Just let her out…” I pleaded, slowly in order to avoid more stutters.

The nurse looked as if she took a deep breath.

“There is no way out,” She stated.

My heart almost dropped from my chest.

“W-what?” I stuttered again, not this time because of my voice but out of complete confusion.

The nurse returned her gaze to me and remained completely calm, although I’m not quite sure how she possibly stay so well composed.

“No, n-no… There has to be a way out…” I started, letting my eyes dart around the room in a way. “Then how could I get here? How did we get here? How…” My words wandered off.

I noticed the nurse had lifted one eyebrow at me.

“You don’t get it, Skye…” She spoke out, “You won’t be getting out.”

I stared straight back at the nurse and tried to control my breathing.

“But she needs out…” I said. I extended my arm out and behind me, pointing with my index finger towards Jasmine’s deteriorating body.

“She’s not going anywhere, either, Skye.”

I relaxed my arm and let it drop back down to my side.

“Please…” I mumbled.

The nurse ignored me.

“Please,” I said, much more firmly than before, “Please.”

“No, Skye…” She finally responded. She shook her head slowly as she did so.

“Please!”

She continued to shake her head.

“Please!” I repeated, again. 

When she finally stopped shaking her head, she began to reach her left hand into one of her smaller side pockets on her lab coat.

“NO!” I shrieked out. Without even realizing what I was doing, I quickly lunged towards her with my arms outstretched in front of me. Within my one big step forward, I was already close enough to grab her upper arms and begin to push her back.

“A-” She muttered out, suddenly pulling her hand out of her pocket.

I was able to push her back, almost to the wall, before she swung her left hand around me. She had managed to grab another small shot injector from her pocket during my attack, and used it quickly in my right thigh without me instantly realizing it.

I soon felt the stab in my upper thigh, along with the feeling of its injection. I uttered a small noise from the little pain.

Very slowly, I began to feel a numbness come over my muscles.

The nurse backed herself up a few steps, allowing me to almost collapse under her. I was able to stop my hard fall slightly by throwing my hands in front of myself, but I still plunged onto the cold, hard floor.

I could hear the nurse give a small laugh, and then saw her intentionally drop the emptied shot onto the ground in front of me.

I then gave several attempts to push myself back up again, roll over onto my back, or at least reposition my body in any way. 

But, I couldn’t move.