Chapter Twenty Four

Five days were very long. They dragged by as slowly as possible. I moped around the castle and slept most of the time. Once, my mother took me out into the town, thinking it would help but it only made me feel worse. She was coping much better than I was, but she had only lost one man, where I lost two.

Nobody had said anything about Trittan. I had no idea what was happening in their kingdom. It didn’t matter now that Eb was dead. I wondered if it was any better or not. I guess it didn’t matter. I’d never really want to contact them again, not even when I became ruler, which was falling very soon upon me. My mother was setting up men left and right while also helping with the funeral. In the end, I just told her that whoever she thought best I’d marry. It didn’t matter anymore.  Anyone after Zaleck was no one.

I was surprised to see Tristan’s name in the list of the men. And a long, long list it was. Even men I had turned down before, some multiple times, had been put back into the running of it all. But I didn’t care anymore.

When I awoke the day of the funeral the air was heavy. But when I glanced outside, the clouds had cleared and the sun was out, shining brightly and too happily down on me. I knew it would be a fairly decent warming day out. Great. This was exactly the weather I didn’t want for me aching mood. At least the funeral was mid-morning at eleven. It shouldn’t last more than an hour. My mother was just that way. She didn’t want to take the whole day.

I walked aimlessly to my closet. I opened it, pulling out the dress I had chosen for the funeral. I left the black sweater in the closet though. It was warm enough outside that I wouldn’t need it. I grabbed my black tights, a sheer material with thick dark vintage flowers on them. I laid everything out, including the black bootie heels. I stared at it for a while, letting out a heavy breath.

Eventually I slipped out of my nightgown. I tugged on the tights first before slipping into my dress and carefully zipping it up. I glanced in the mirror, the off the shoulder black dress showed off my slender shoulders in more than a polite way. With the lace overlay it made the look more delicate. It cinched in at the waist and the full skirt fluttered out gently, landing just at my knees. I tugged on the black ankle boots and zipped them up too.

I moved to my desk of makeup and hair supplies. I picked up my curler that I had plugged in and started to work quickly. The curls fell easily. I knew they wouldn’t stay long and most likely turn into a wavy mess. But I wanted to at least try. The ringlets fell down easily. When I was finished I sprayed it with hair spray, enough to hit the curls, but not enough to stick into a crunchy disaster. I applied a dark eye shadow to the top of my lid but that was all. I briefly glanced in the mirror before moving away from it.

I shifted, glancing at the clock. I was right on time at ten o’clock. I moved down the stairs easily, reaching the bottom with no time. My mother was waiting patiently with a few guards. She looked beautiful, as usual. In a simple long black dress, her hair was pinned back delicately. She smiled weakly at me when she saw me. I made my way to her and held onto her hand as we started to the door.

We entered into a car, accompanied by two others. It would take us all the way across town, to the far end where the large graveyard was. I wasn’t sure that’s exactly where I wanted to be, but I had to. I stared out the window the whole way.

When the car parked, my mother, who was equally as silent as I had been, got out first. It took me awhile, fighting myself on opening the door and actually getting out. Eventually, someone opened the door for me, and somehow, I forced myself out.

I got to my seat, not remembering my steps, numbness taking over. I shifted, being in the front with my mother and some of other nobles who had made it from cities over. It was outside, leaving plenty of room for anyone who wanted to come. And there were a lot, gathering at the edges, pushing together.