Chapter Twenty Three

My mother was waiting, a worried look on her face. When she saw us coming I watched her start to cry. As soon as I could I removed myself from the horse. I started to cry, my mother making her way easily to me. I practically ran into her arms.

“Oh Mom…” I cried, burying my head on her shoulder. Her arms wrapped tightly around me.

“Sage, you scared me so much. I was afraid you were…” She trailed off and I started to sob even more.

“I’m so sorry.” My muffled words came and my mother just stroked my back gently, rocking me in her arms like I was little again.

We stayed there like that for a long time. I didn’t know how long it was and I didn’t care. Finally the man cleared his throat from behind me. My mother let go slightly, but I clung to her for dear life. I didn’t know what was happening. I hadn’t heard anything about my father and I knew nobody was to check on Zaleck either. Their bodies had both fallen to the ground with blood, a lifeless lump there. It hurt so bad, the ache in my chest yet to disappear.

“We don’t have news of the King yet. I left with the Princess before I could hear. I’m so sorry.” The solider who had brought me back spoke quietly.

“It’s quite okay Vinzent. Go inside and rest. You’ve done a good job. Thank you.” My mother was always so collected, it was no wonder she was the ruler with my father. The two were a wonderful pair. They were in love, level headed and so much more. 

Her fingers found my hair, stroking through it. “Come on, let’s go inside. I think you need to sleep.” I swallowed, letting myself finally release my death grip on my mother. I moved her arm around my waist as we moved to the castle. I could see the worry in her eyes still though. I knew it was my fault too. Whatever happened was all my fault.

I entered into the familiar castle, wanting to cry again. I shook as I took the long stairs up to the halls. I made it to my rooms silently, my mother beside me with each step. She let go of me, leaving me standing in the middle of the room. She moved to the closet to pull out a nightgown. I glanced down at myself and saw my clothes covered in blood when Zaleck had grabbed me.

I burst into sobs, quickly tossing the clothes off and throwing them at the ground, moving desperately away from them. The memory of his body falling after stepping in front of me when Eb had shot the gun left my stomach churning. I saw the blood seeping from him in my mind, as I was pulled away by the soldier.

“Sage!” My mother said forcefully and I snapped immediately. My eyes shifted from the clothes to her as she held out the nightgown. “It’s okay… Put this on and go to sleep. Everything is okay.” She shook the gown and I finally reached for the light pink colored material. It was long sleeve, warm soft cotton.

My mother went about picking up the clothes easily as I tugged the nightgown over my head. The smell of my own home was back, no longer the smell of Zaleck on me. I’d never smell that again. My stomach lurched at the thought and I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath.

“Mom,” I said quickly, seeing her moving to the door as I sat on my bed.

“Yes?” She asked, pausing, her eyes lingering on me easily.

“I’m sorry.” I choked slightly.

“It’s not your fault, Sage. We pushed you too much. It’s okay now. There isn’t a need to be sorry. We understand what happened.” She said, smiling weakly. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” I said, pulling my legs up into my bed and tucking my head down.

“Now get some sleep.” My mother said, exiting my room, shutting the door gently.