Chapter Twenty

Any time I got relatively close to a door, several men would step forward with dark faces. It was clear I didn’t want to mess with them. Then I’d stalk away throughout Eb’s silent castle. It was nothing like ours, loud with talk from help and meetings and dinners hosted. It was dark and cool. I eventually found my way into a large kitchen. Even the workers there were quiet, minding their own business. I scanned the area, everyone looking up at me.

“What are you doing in here?” An older woman asked. Her voice was rather kind and gentle.

“I don’t know where else to go…” I said quietly. My eyes went down, having a calming voice struck hard. The brief memory of Zaleck handing me over stung.

“You might get in trouble for being in here.” The woman said, as she stirred something in a large pot.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” I breathed out, understanding that I really wasn’t going to be the one in trouble, but they would be, “I’ll leave.” I added, turning away.

“No dear, if you want to stay you may. I’m just warning you.” She said quickly, and I glanced over my shoulder at her. “We all know who you are anyway.” I blinked, lifting a hand to rub my eyes. “Come on, sit down.”

I nodded and moved to a stool at the end of the long table where all the countertop space was. I sat silently, staring blankly at the pot the woman was adding ingredients into. “What are you making?” I asked sullenly.

“Just a stew.” She said, smiling lightly over at me.

“How does he eat?” I was curious. I always ate with my family together. Normally there was always some sort of guest over.

“Usually alone.”

It was sad, to think that Eb couldn’t find it in himself to be nicer. The kingdom would be so much better off. I shifted in the seat, letting out a sigh. “Have you been told to set two plates?” I asked, my eyes tiredly scanning over hers.

She shook her head, “No, you’re safe for tonight. If you like, I can give you something now.” She said, her eyes moving away, and without waiting for an answer, was summoning a bowl of stew for me.

I let it sit in front of me for a little bit, before I realized that I was hungry. So I gave up my fight and decided to just eat anyway. It was a slow process. I was there for probably an hour, making small talk with the older woman. And when I was done, I was going to hide away.

I left the kitchen with a huff. I moved to the grand staircase. I was going to find a room to crash in. I tried desperately not to think about Zaleck, how he left me. I kept pushing the tears away, but it wasn’t helping much. And after peeking into a few rooms, a silent servant indicated a room to me. I nodded and moved towards it, opening the door. With a heavy sigh, I was relieved. A simple bed, made up, was waiting. And I scanned the room, realizing it was too bare to be Eb’s. I was safe. For now.

I made my way, yanked the blankets back and curled up. And this small movement, yanking the blankets over my head, I sobbed. Long cries coming out despite what I really wanted. I was stupid. I had fallen for Zaleck. I had been careless, dumb, and immature.

I’d never been in love before, and the ache in my chest was the worst. I tried to wipe the streaming thick tears away but it was nearly impossible. I gave up, letting the pillow get soaked, the blankets damp. My body shook tremendously. How could I have possibly been so naïve?

It was over now. I may never see Zaleck again. It was probably for the best. I never wanted to think about him again either, but would be impossible. I kept telling myself he never loved me, coping with the pain in a different way. I had to get it through my head that it was true, it was all a ploy. Once I got that over with, I might start to get over it.

I was so exhausted. My head was pounding with a large headache. I pulled my legs up, closing my eyes tightly. I don’t know how long it took, but soon, I was drifting off.

I stumbled out of the room in the morning, the halls silent as usual. I let my fuzzy gaze drift around before rubbing my eyes. I stayed, standing outside the door, wondering if I should just hide in there all day. But I shook it off, my tired eyes red and sore as I sulked down the halls. I past no one, and wondered if it was always like this.

But once I got down the stairs, looking to the doors, the group of men, still guarding them easily. I sighed, glaring at them before trying to remember exactly where the kitchen was. All I knew was it had been down a long hallway with several doors. There were a few of those here and with a hazy mind I couldn’t remember which. I sighed, looking for any kind of help that Eb had hired but couldn’t find any.

I turned towards a hall in the back corner, guessing that was my best bet. I rounded to where the corner turned and slammed flat into someone, stumbling against the wall. I said nothing, afraid it was a burly guard, or Eb himself. I kept my eyes down, before they cleared their throat.

An all too familiar sound murmured “Sage?”

Oh this wasn’t happening. I glared at the ground, pushing away from the wall, trying to walk past the person blocking my path. Strong hands gripping into my arms but I yanked them free, stepping back. “Leave me alone.” I growled, my eyes finally lifting to make contact with the rich blue ones of Zaleck.

He reached for me again, and I stepped back, “Sage,” His voice wasn’t dark as it had been yesterday, and I would have believed that emotion if I hadn’t looked up to his face to see dead eyes, a blank face.

“Fuck off.” I said, turning away to walk back into open sight, where I was sure if he followed, the men guarding the doors would spread it to Eb.

“Sage, wait!” He hissed quietly, his hand catching my shoulder before I could make it back out and dragging me back to the hidden hallway. “You need to listen to me,” He started but I shook my head, rolling my eyes. I was too mad at him to want to cry. All I wanted to do was slap him across the face and leave. I could scream, someone was bound to come check, but I didn’t want Zaleck to get in trouble. I was pathetic. He’d burned me and I couldn’t help but still want to make sure Eb would kill him.

“I don’t want to talk to you. I have nothing to hear from you. You made everything clear yesterday. The only thing that makes me mad is that I let myself trust someone like you.” I spit, shoving against him.

“Stop Sage!” He growled the low sound rumbling out of him. His grip was firm on me. “I don’t have time right now. I have to meet with Eb. I don’t know what he wants-”

“I don’t care!” I cried out, still keeping my voice down, “I don’t know who you are. I never knew who you were. So just go help Eb. I’d rather die than see you again.” I said, giving him a good hard shove before moving straight past him. I didn’t look back at him and the only thing that proved to me that Zaleck was never on my side was the call that never came from him. He never stopped me. I disappeared into a room at the end of the hall.

I leaned on the back of the door when I shut it, seeing that it was an empty room full of cleaning supplies. I sank to the floor, burying my head in my knees.