Chapter Twenty Five

I sat in a cushioned chair. My legs were pulled up as I curled into it. I stared at a spot on the wall, the plain, clean white wall. No one else was there today and no one dared to follow us there. I could see India out of the corner of my eye. She didn’t look as distraught as I’m sure I did. She seemed to be doing quite well, sitting with one leg elegantly crossed over the other, a paper cup of coffee in her fingers.

I wanted to say something, try to be supportive. There were so many thoughts going through my head though. It hadn’t been too long, maybe an hour sitting in the chair, unmoving. I didn’t know how severe the wounds were and hadn’t heard from a nurse or doctor. I think they were too nervous to approach me. My mother left me alone. She didn’t attempt to speak to me, just like everyone else. I knew she was probably sitting in another chair behind me, having heard no one move since I had sat down.

I watched as finally India got up. I couldn’t see her though as she moved behind where I was sitting, head resting on the back of the chair. I heard murmured voices before they moved away. I heard something about Zaleck from India and then my name before my mother answered quietly.

I let out a heavy sigh, closing my eyes. I was exhausted. I didn’t know how much longer I could do this, the stress eating me alive. I breathed out slowly and felt the pounding in my head. It was so silent, driving me insane, even as much as I didn’t want to talk.

I don’t know how long my eyes were closed or how long I had been sitting there now, but I felt something being pushed into my hands. I looked to see India in front of me. My eyes fluttered down, seeing a white soft towel that was wet with warm water. My fingers curled around it and I finally realized that the blood was still on my hands. I shivered, reality really seeming to sink in as I stood up abruptly, trying to wipe the blood off my fingers as quickly as possible. My heart started to beat wildly and I trembled, a clear panic attack hitting me as I stumbled to wipe away the stained red mess.

It was impossible though as I realized it was stained into the lace of the black dress. I croaked, making a strained noise, hands shaking as I touched the fabric. The blood was removed from my hands but India cleared her throat and my attention snapped to her. Her long fingers pointed to her cheek as her lips curled down.

Another noise escaped me, something so horrid as I reached up, feeling the thick liquid crusted to my skin. I lifted the towel, scrubbing so forcefully that my flesh burned. My eyes moved to India, asking the question if I had wiped it all away. Her head moved, giving me a yes. I sank back into my seat, goose bumps flooding my body.

India sat next to me and only stayed quiet for a few seconds, “I explained things to your mother. I probably should have left it up to you but I know that this isn’t easy for you.” She said, her voice soft. I breathed out heavily, glancing over at her.

“I thought he was dead.” I murmured.

“Us too.” India quieted and it fell silent.

“None of this would have happened if it weren’t for me.” The guilt was getting to me too, more than it had before. “He would have never been hurt. Nobody would have been killed or hurt.” I breathed out, almost afraid to say it.

“It would have happened. Eb had so many messed up plans.” India said, her voice stronger than mine, “Please don’t blame yourself. I believe the people of Trittan only have good thoughts about you. I know many were hurt and many died but it was bound to occur. Eb is gone now. We don’t need to worry about things like that again.” She stopped and I felt her eyes on me, “We have no leader yet.”

“Who is supposed to take the throne?” I asked, glancing at India briefly.

“Eb had no other relatives. No uncles, cousins. Trittan has much to think about now, how to elect someone new.” India sighed and I felt her hand on mine. “Sage,” She murmured when I didn’t say anything.