Chapter Seventeen

There was a knocking on the door. Lovely.

I most likely look like a mess. More of a wreck, I believe. I didn’t dare open my mouth without clearing it first. “Yeah?”

“I’ve been told you’re in here.” I made a disgruntled face, hearing Zaleck wasn’t supposed to make me feel relieved. I was supposed to be frustrated over his voice. It made me feel better but I should be irritated.

But I wasn’t. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine.” My snapped reply echoed in the bathroom.

“You don’t sound fine.”

“How can I sound fine when you are pestering me as I try to pee!” Freaking bastard.

“I have a hard time believing that. You aren’t that good of a liar.”

“I’m a perfectly fine liar.”

Am I really arguing about this?

The handle of the door started to jiggle slightly. “It’s locked. Don’t bother to try-” The door pushed open and Zaleck stood there, looking amused. “Or not.”

“The lock is easy. Why have you been crying?” He shut the door and moved towards me and knelt down so he could me in the eyes as I was sitting.

“I wasn’t.”

“That’s funny,” Zaleck said, running fingers of my wet cheeks. “Since you look like you have been.”

“So what…” I let my head tip down, away from his pleading eyes.

My own eyes flickered to his when his fingers brushed against my arm. A shiver ran through my body. His hands caught mine, holding them steadily. “Tell me what is going on, Sage.” His blue eyes held worry and pain. His voice was soft and tender. And I burst into tears. He made a shushing noise as his hands moved to my face, fingers cupping my cheeks, his thumbs brushing my tears away. “It’s okay…” This only made me cry harder.

“It’s not okay!” I sobbed, closing my eyes as his tumbs brushed under them.

“I know.” He murmured, one of his thumbs moved over my lip. “Don’t cry, please. It’s going to be okay.”

“It’s not.” I pressed, trying to stop crying.

Next thing I knew I was cradled into his arms, pressed into his chest. A kiss was placed on the top of my head before he just held me.

After about ten minutes of my sad, pathetic fit, I was feeling tired. My breathing had slowed and I had my eyes closed, feeling his chest rise slowly. I felt him shift away from me, but I didn’t care. His lips pressed to my hurt eyelids and I let out a sigh.

“Are you better now? I just shrugged to his question, letting out a huff. “Come on, let’s go. It’s time to take you home.” He stood up, pulling me with him.

“We haven’t even been here long.” I said, my voice weak.

“It’s fine. I don’t care what they think.” I paused, wondering if Warner had said anything to Averia, or if he would say anything to me. He’d probably look down at me with hard eyes.

“No.” I said, taking in a quick breath. “They’re going to be mad or something.”

“No they won’t. Sage, come on, you’re tired, you’re upset, let’s just go home.”

“I want to stay.” He looked down at me peculiarly but I held his gaze.

“Okay.” He growled and grabbed my hand carefully, pulling me back towards the kitchen.