Chapter Ten

Zaleck was frustrated. Beyond frustrated, I think. He was practically dragging us out of his parent’s house after dinner. I thought everything was going fine, but I suppose when he father asked where he had been the past few months and Zaleck would not reply made the whole table turn quiet. And now here we were, awkwardly leaving.

“Zaleck, come on.” I heard from India as she followed us out the door as we moved down the steps and onto the streets. “Zale, mom really wants you to stay. Who cares if dad is being like that, when isn’t he?”

I looked back to India seeing her obviously struggle trying to keep us there. But Zaleck didn’t reply. All he did was pull me along behind him down the streets. I let out a sigh and shook my head, turning my eyes away from India and down to the ground. Soon there was nothing but silence as we moved down the quiet dark streets, which barely had anyone among them.

“Why are you mad?” I asked quietly once our paced slowed down a little bit.

“It isn’t any of your business.” I let out a sigh and reached out, grabbing his arm and making him stop walking.

“Zaleck, why are you mad at your father?” I asked as I pulled my arm away, crossing them over my chest.

“Sage I told you it isn’t your business. I don’t have the best relationship with my parents. That is all you need to know.” I let out a sigh and shook my head a little, rolling my eyes. “Let’s go.” He said as he grabbed my arm and pulled my forward once again.

I was getting tired of being dragged and tugged around so I yanked my arm free. I watched as he glanced over to me and I just glared at him. He gave me a look but I ignored it and hurried forward, quickly turning into a run.

“Sage!” I heard from behind me but I kept going. I don’t know, I just didn’t want to be with him at the moment, I didn’t want to talk to him. I turned down an alley, unsure of where I was going. It was already dark and the alley made it harder to see, but I kept going. “Sage!” I heard again and I glanced over my shoulder, not even seeing him. My head moved back around before I let out a screech before I collapsed to the ground against someone else. “Sage!” There was a panic in his voice now, probably because I had let out a small scream.

“Sorry, sorry.” I said quickly as a hand reached out and moved to the left side of my head and I instantly felt nervous. I scrambled to get back, my legs burning as they scraped against the ground. Suddenly there was a light gleaming across my face and I saw a rugged faced man, eye wide, a wicked smile crossing on his lips. “Zaleck!” I screamed, trying to move back as a hand grabbed my ankle and I let out another scream, jabbing my other leg out and catching the man, hearing him grunt. “Zaleck!” I yelled out again as I got another kick in and felt them release my ankle as once again I tried to push myself farther back. The moment I pushed myself I crashed back to the ground as arms wrapped around my legs.

“Don’t touch her.” It was growl and it was low and menacing. I let out a whimper as the hands only tightened around me. It felt like the day I was running from Zaleck, but so much worse. “Let her go and you’ll live.” I heard as I desperately looked through the dark for Zaleck, but couldn’t see him anywhere.

“Why should I?” I heard from the man holding me down.

“Because you’ll die if you don’t.” I heard from Zaleck as I felt something on my arm, trying to pull me up. “Let go.” I heard as slowly the hands released my legs and I was brought up. “Leave, now.” I buried my head in Zaleck’s chest as his arms wrapped protectively around me as he started to back up with me in his arms. “Are you okay?” He whispered and I let my head nod, feeling his hands moving through my hair gently. My feet left the ground as his arm moved under my legs and the other under my arm, holding me to his chest. I could tell me were moving and I was happy Zaleck was around to save me. I would have never thought he would be helping me.