Chapter Nineteen

I woke to murmuring voices. Deep, gruff murmuring voices for that matter. I rolled over in the bed, stretching out. Zaleck’s spot on the bed was empty from the other night. I winced slightly, sitting up in the bed.

I had been confused with Zaleck. The kiss in the town was warm, gentle, and passionate. And now nothing else had happened between us. He hadn’t said any soft words, nothing to ease my conscious. I didn’t understand what was happening between us.

There was a clatter downstairs, and Zaleck’s voice boomed loudly above the others. I couldn’t make out what he was saying, but my heart was beating quickly now. I pushed myself out of the bed and moved slowly across the floor with bare feet, feeling chilled. I tugged my black sweat pants down on my legs, having the legs rolled up. My fingers gripped at the long sleeve blue shirt I was wearing. I held the soft material to my palms. I tiptoed out to the top of the stairs, peeking down them. I couldn’t see anything. The voice had become hushed again. I didn’t know what to think about the situation. Was it safer to stay hidden up in the room?

“We need her.” I heard as I inched down the stairs, enough not to be seen yet.

“I don’t understand what you think is going on. Eb knows exactly what is going on.”

“Well he asked us to come get her. And I’m tired of arguing about it with you. Orders from Eb are orders.”

“He knows what I’m doing with her! If you take her now it will all be ruined!”

I shifted, unsure of the comments, but my eyes had narrowed at the sound of Zaleck’s voice. What would be ruined? I figured it would be best to stow away in his room instead. I turned to head back upstairs but hid a board the creaked loudly.

Immediately the voices stopped. I paused, holding my breath as I glanced over my shoulder and five large men shifted into view. Behind all of them, Zaleck appeared, looking up at me. I couldn’t read any emotions on his face, but his eyes held something. Some emotion I didn’t quite know.

“It’s time.” One of the men said, and I remembered two of the five from when they chased me after I first tried to escape out of Eb’s palace.

The one who spoke started up the stairs, followed by one man I hadn’t seen before. The rest stayed downstairs, blocking Zaleck from the stairs. But it wasn’t like he really tried to move. I stood, frozen, looking at Zaleck. He only glared back at me.

“Zaleck?” I asked, my eyes fluttering to the two large men coming towards me. “What’s going on?” I cried out, feeling lost. All I knew is that I had heard Eb’s voice earlier and that never was good. I didn’t want to leave this house. I took moved back up the stairs, but by the time I had climbed two, the first man smiled viciously at me, snatching my wrist.

“Where are you going this time? Think you can run again? Zaleck is giving you away.” His voice leaked into my head. With his grip on my wrist, he had yanked me close, his face inches away from my face. He grinned down at me.

I wasn’t going to take this any longer. I was tired of fighting, of running, but it was all I had. I lifted my free arm and swung it at him. I didn’t even make contact as his other arm grabbed my fist before it got even close. He pinned my arms painfully to my sides, pushing them slightly behind me.

“Let’s go.” He sneered as he yanked me off the stairs, holding my roughly as I swung my legs, trying to kick him.

“No!” I screamed, flailing in his arms. I landed contact with the second man several times on the stairs as he wrangled my legs but he finally pinned them together as I writhed between the two. “No! Zaleck!” I cried out, searching wildly for him.