Chapter Fourteen

Authors Note: Hey, so, I'm sorry this one is a little short but the ending is good.

ANNNDDD, sorry it took so long for me to post up a new chapter. I was on vacation for two weeks and was still unpacking and just got my exchange student here so yes. I've been busy, aha.

Well I would totally love if you rated and commented, tell me what you think.

Thanks for everyone reading.

- Melea

I was sitting on a large flat rock, my legs curled up underneath me. There was nothing around us but fields as the sun was starting to sink down, making the sky a beautiful swirl of pinks, blues, purples, and oranges. It was a shame I was in the most disgusting place of my life. I glanced downwards the house Zaleck was in. I had refused to go in, so he told me to wait outside close by and say something if anything came towards us. And so far, he had been in there for awhile now. I don’t know why we were here and I didn’t care, I just wanted to go home.

It’s funny how I call home Zaleck’s house. Not that I don’t want to go to my actual home in Dane, because I do. It is just impossible to do so. There was a loud thump and my head quickly snapped in the direction of the house that was close to me. Then the door peeked open slowly as Zaleck’s back was to me. He was slumped over slightly before the door opened completely. He kept moving when I realized he was towing a body with him, dragging it across the ground. I winced as I realized it was one of the men that had hurt me.

“W-what are you doing?” I asked as Zaleck continued to drag the man towards the middle of the field. His head turned towards me for a second but he didn’t say anything. He dropped the body a few yards away from the house before pausing, looking towards me. My eyes were locked onto the dead body though, and I could tell they were wide, I’m sure with fear. Even though he was dead, all the memories were suddenly flooding back.

By the time I looked for Zaleck, I realized he had vanished back into the house. Not even a minute later, he dragged another body out. Another body that had damaged me. I shifted on the rock, looking down so I didn’t have to look at the men. I swallowed, feeling a wet lump in my throat.

After ten minutes of Zaleck moving back and forth, all of the men were laying in a pile on the ground. Zaleck was standing over them, seemingly concentrated on what he was doing. He was pushing things around them before he pulled out a small gas can. He started to pour liquid over them and I winced at the smell. And that’s when it hit me. He was burning their bodies. I pushed myself up from the rock and moved silently towards Zaleck. I was behind me as he stood there, digging though his pockets. I pressed my head against his back, feeling him tense, though after only a few seconds, his body relaxed. I heard a light scratching against something before the sound of something igniting. Zaleck took several large steps backwards, forcing my back with him. And the fire lit up easily, crackling wildly. I couldn’t see the men and I didn’t really want to.

“You okay?” I heard from Zaleck and I just shook my head, looking down. I felt arms wrap around my body, pulling me close into his chest. My head fell below his chin as it rested on top of my head. I could feel his atoms apple lightly pressed into my forehead. “We’ll go right after this, I promise.” His voice as so calming and soft that I was easily comforted.

An hour later I was walking into Zaleck’s house. Everything was silent and we hadn’t talked the whole way home. And we still weren’t talking. So when he turned to go into the kitchen, I kept going straight and climbed the stairs into the bedroom. I grabbing a long sleeve shirt and long pajama bottoms, wanting to hide all the scrapes, bruises, and scars forming on my body. My skin use to be fairly flawless with no scars. That is until I was captured by Zaleck. I already had scars on my wrists and ankles from being tied up. And I’m sure I had one formed on my head, though it couldn’t be seen through my hair. I stripped from my baggy jeans and sweatshirt and stared at all the bruises on my stomach, along with a bandage. I turned around to see a long cut across by back between my shoulder blades. There were smaller ones from the whip striking against my flesh, and a few on the sides of my upper arms. When I turned back to the mirror, the only one I couldn’t hide was the small healing wound on my neck from when Zaleck had showed up. I let out a sigh and glanced down at my thighs, which had several bruises too.

Once I had pulled on my pajama’s I headed back out of the bathroom and towards the bed. I pulled the covers back and slid in, curling up into a ball. I closed my eyes, taking in a slow breaths until I heard the sound of footsteps and let them open back up. I was paranoid about the noise in the house now. I held my breath until the familiar figure of Zaleck entered the room, stripping his dark colored clothes off, seeming not to care that I could see. I let my eyes flicker away from his toned body though and let him get into his own black checkered pajama bottoms and plain white tee.

I glanced towards him as he slid into the bed and he smiled, and in return, a weak smile crossed my own lips. His hands moved up and I flinched, pulling away. It was just a reflex now. I closed my eyes and felt his hand brush my hair away from my face. “What happened when I was there?” I asked quietly, still not sure exactly how Zaleck figured out where I was or how he got me out of there.

“Well I got you out.” He replied with a smug smile and I glared at him.

“But how?” I asked quietly, letting my eyes move away from his blue ones.

“Does it matter?” He asked and I let out a sigh.

“Yes. How did you find out where I was?” I asked and he just chuckled.

“I’ve worked for Eb a long time. I knew there were only so many places that there are that are silent and no one can see or hear anything weird.” He said as his arm wrapped over the left side of my waist, his fingers pressing against my back as he rubbed it.

“And there was only one of you against-”

“Well I’m just good at what I do.” He interrupted me as his eyes tried to bore into mine, but I just let them flicker away. “And I took out the first two before the third got downstairs to you. I’m just glad you’re okay.” He said and I turned my head to the other side.

“What happened to the last man?”

“I shot him.”

“But he was going to stab me. He did stab me.” I said, moving my hands to the bandage strapped over my navel where stitches were held underneath. It was the one that bothered me the most and I was careful not to bend in any odd angle.

“Well he missed any valuable organs.” He said as his eyes narrowed slightly. “Which is good.”

I shrugged, trying to turn my body away from his, but his arm held me in place. “I guess.” I muttered.

“You aren’t happy you’re alive?” He said, his voice darkening.

“I am. It just would have been better if it hadn’t happened at all.” I said as I watched his face fall.

“I’m sorry. They barged into the house when I was working and then they smashed my head.” He said as he leaned closer to me. “I would have done anything to stop them here so they couldn’t have hurt you.” His other hand that wasn’t moving across my back pressed over my stomach where my most critical wound was placed.

“I know.” I whispered and closed my eyes.

“You know what?” I heard as his finger brushed over my neck where the scab had formed over the cut.

“Hmm?” I asked, not bothering to open my eyes as I was starting to feel tired.

“You’re beautiful.” There was a sinking feeling in my stomach and I felt his breath on my skin.

Just as I opened my eyes his lips pressed gently to mine and my eyes quickly shut once more. No way was this actually happening. It made my whole body feel numb and I instantly warmed up as I kissed him back.

When we pulled away I was left breathless and when I opened my eyes, Zaleck looked just the same, as not even a little happy. There was a small smile on his lips and his head tipped forward, his forehead pressing gently against mine.

Out of everything bad that had happened, this was the worst. I was already falling for him, and the feelings were mutual. What would Eb do if he ever found out? It just meant he couldn’t find out.

All of my worries melted away as his lips pressed once more against mine in a sweet kiss.