Chapter 4: Revealing Lies

The rest of the day passes uneventfully. For most classes I hardly pay attention, instead, I think of the pros and cons of picking Gran Torino over someone else.

As the last class comes to an end, students scramble to put their things away.

"Midoriya," Ectoplasm calls.

I stand in confusion as he gestures me to the front of the class. The rest of my peers hardly glance at us, too focused on internships and their things.

"Come to the teachers' lounge before you leave."

"May I ask why?" I reply trying not to show my slight nervousness.

"The teachers want to talk to you about what happened earlier today." He explains in a low tone.

"Oh, ok, Sensei."

He gives me a nod then leaves the room. I frown staring at the door he just left through.

'Why would the teachers want me? I already told Recovery Girl and Aizawa about the made-up incident.'

'They know you're lying.' A voice whispers to me.

"Deku-Kun!"

I blink, turning to face the owner of the voice. Ochaco walks up to me.

"Let's go home together," she says smiling happily.

"I can't today," I reply still thinking of the summons.

"Oh," her face falls for a moment, but then she's back to her perky self, "How about you Iida-"

She looks back at his seat and frowns realizing he's gone.

"He probably went to visit his brother," I say in an effort to cheer her up.

"Oh, right I can't believe I forgot!" Uraraka groans in annoyance at herself, "I guess I'll head home by myself. See ya Deku-Kun!"

She opens the door and leaves with a wave of her hand. I wave back, shooting her a soft smile in apology.

Once she's gone, I step out into the hallways. As I walk through UA, I continue to think about my situation. A part of me is worried about my story.

'Did they realize I was lying?'

The other part is anxiously thinking about my internship problem. I know that I could tell them the truth but, I don't want them to be involved.

'What should I do?' I think in frustration.

'You could always disappear'

'No that won't work. It would be too suspicious.'

'All of your friends died because of you. If you aren't in the picture, then maybe they would be safe. After all, everything is your fault.'

'Not everything happened because of me. Besides I'm selfish. I want to continue with this care-free life, even if it isn't real.'

'They'll all just die again.'

I try to ignore the voices, focusing instead on my surroundings.

'No, they won't I'll make sure of it.'

'You weren't enough last time, what makes you think you will be now?'

'Shut up! None of that was my fault! It was all All for One!'

'Do you really believe that? Or are you just lying to convince yourself?'

I grit my teeth, trying, once more, to block out my thoughts.

'You're lying to yourself Izuku.'

'It's your fault!'

'You're worthless!'

'You're no hero!'

'Faker!'

'Shut up!' I yell in my head.

Thankfully it seems to stop them...for now anyway. I take a deep breath. Trying to calm me and stopping my tapping.

I eventually find myself at the door to the teacher's lounge. I manage to gather my courage and knock on the door. Present Mic opens the door for me. I thank him and enter the room, glancing around.

The lounge is small but cozy. The walls were painted a light brown. The floor is covered in grey tiles. There isn't a lot of furniture in the room. Just a pair of green couches, one across from the other, and a coffee table between. Chairs must have been brought in for the other teacher's benefit since they don't look like they belong. Behind Nezu's couch is a cabinet filled with books and other trinkets. In the corner is a table with a small coffee machine and other beverage necessities. At the other end of the room is a round table with a few chairs and a window above it. I almost smile, it looks the same as it did all those years ago.

Along with the organization of the room, I notice that all the teachers are here. All Might is too, which surprises me. He's in his muscular form though.

Nervousness swells in my chest making it hard to put one foot in front of the other.

"Please sit." Nezu motions to the couch where I tentatively sit.

The other teachers sit around us waiting for the meeting to begin.

"Now then, I'm sure you know why you're here Midoriya Izuku." the principle starts.

I shift under his scrutinizing gaze.

"Yes sir."

"Good. Now then, Aizawa explained the events of this morning to me. Would you care to explain again the circumstances that led up to earlier today?"

I swallow thickly from nerves. I'm not afraid of the principle, but his gaze reminds me of another person's. Not only that, but I can't help but feel a little scared. If they find out I'm lying they'll be furious.

"Of course," I reply then launch into my tale focusing on keeping my voice even and devoid of any negative emotion, "As I explained to Aizawa-sensei and Recovery girl, I was walking to school this morning when a man stopped me. He said he needed my help and he looked hurt so I tried to help him. As soon as he touched me I felt extremely tired. He thanked me and left the alleyway. I was kinda confused but I went to school anyway. As class continued I got sleepier and sleepier so I decided to rest for a bit. Sensei was talking about other stuff anyways so I thought he wouldn't notice me sleeping. As soon as I closed my eyes everything just turned black. When I opened them again I was in the nurse's office with no memory of what happened."

"Are you sure you met this man during your walk to school?"

"Yes sir."

"You were alone on the way to school."

I pause.

'Does he know I'm lying?'

"Yes sir, I was."

Nezu raises an eyebrow and looks at Aizawa-sensei.

"Aizawa asked your friends, Iida and Uraraka," Nezu begins watching me carefully, "and they told him, as the three of you walked to school, this morning, they never ran into this 'mystery man'."

I pale instantly as his words sink in.

"So," He sits back interlacing his fingers (paws?), "care to tell me the real events?"