Chapter 32: The Start of Something

My eyes slowly open to the sound of a steady beeping. The hospital room comes into sharp focus.

"Izu!"

I turn to see my mother, tears streaming down her face.

"Mom wha-" I start to say, but I'm interrupted by her sudden hug.

"I'm so glad you're ok!" She says, holding me close.

I relax into her hold, enjoying the moment.

"I'm fine mom, I didn't mean to worry you." I apologize as we pull apart.

"You're fine, that's all that matters." My mother grins at me and I smile back.

A knock at the door interrupts our moment. My friends, including Dabi, enter the room.

"Deku-Kun!" Ochaco exclaims, hugging me immediately.

I smile a bit at them, "Thank you."

"You're an idiot," Kacchan grumbles, trying to hide the slight smile on his lips.

"I never said otherwise," I say laughing.

My mother stands, heading towards the door.

"I think I'll leave you all to chat. I have to ask the doctor something anyway," she says.

As soon as the door closes, they all turn to me.

"What was that Midoriya?" Iida asks.

"What?" I reply my hopes that they had forgotten dashed.

"In the cave, who was that Akuma person?"

I sigh deeply, trying to figure out how best to explain.

"It's kind of hard to describe, but Akuma is my alter...kind of."

"What do you mean, kind of?" Momo asks curiously.

"Well, he was created as a part of a quirk and from a part of me, I buried. I guess he's kinda like the twin I never had." I say.

"How did you get him (ribbit)?" Tsu tilts her head in question.

"I don't really remember." I answer truthfully, "To be honest, I have no idea what he did. I kinda blackout when he takes control and I don't always remember. He told me a bit but knowing him, he lied."

Shoto, who hadn't spoken until now, describes in great detail the events. After the story, I begin to apologize profusely.

"It's not your fault," Kirishima states, trying to make me feel better.

I open my mouth to refute him but Shinso cuts me off.

"Don't you dare blame yourself!" he says firmly, "You couldn't have predicted that would happen."

I sigh, my rational mind knows he's right, but a part of me still feels guilty.

"So, why did Akuma do those things?" Ochaco asks.

"He likes hurting people," I say with a shrug.

"Could...could we meet him, properly I mean." Momo offers.

I look at her in surprise, "You want to meet him?"

"Of course! He's a part of you after all." She says as if this is obvious.

I sigh, "I'll ask him, I guess."

The others look apprehensive but not appalled by the idea. I call out to my alter in my mind, searching for him. To my surprise, he doesn't answer. In fact, I now realize how quiet he's been. I frown outwardly as I search for him.

After finding nothing, I open my eyes and shake my head.

"He doesn't want to come out," I say my eyebrows knitted in confusion.

"Is he shy or something?" Dabi says.

I nearly laugh at the thought of Akuma being shy but ignore it.

'Where could he be? Am I just worrying for nothing?'

Akuma's POV

I stare at the darkness surrounding me. The never-ending, all-consuming, blackness that swallows me whole. I don't mind it though.

I look around for someone, thinking how strange it is. I know I'm still in Izuku's head but my surroundings are strange.

"Hello," I call out.

"Why, hello there." A voice answers behind me.

I turn to see a familiar shape.

"You?" I say, debating whether I should kill him or continue speaking.

"I would do the latter if I were you," he says, reading my mind.

A cruel smile scratches across my face.

"And why should I do that?" a knife appears in my hand as I got closer to the villain, "I think it would be much more fun to make you scream."

"I want to propose a deal," he says, voice even despite my threats.

My eyebrow raises in curiosity, "Deal?"

"Well, we didn't get to really talk before." He explains.

"Yes well, Izuku raised a good point. Why would I side with the one that hurt him?"

The man laughs, "Let's be honest, you don't really care about that."

I smirk, "I don't know what you mean."

The man rolls his eyes and continues, "I can give you something you want."

I grin wider and close the distance between the two of us.

Pressing the knife to his neck and, ignoring our height differences, I speak, "I would get to the point if I were you. I'm not known for my patience."

"I can get you a body."