Chapter Twenty-Five

“You’re going to be late,” Yori commented as I finished getting dressed. “Leif is a stickler for time when he’s in the village. His father keeps him busy.”

I nodded and finished tying up my shoes.

"I'm almost ready!"

"Well, you can tell that to him."

I came out of my sleeping area, into the bigger common area Yori and I shared. 

Leif was standing by the doorway looking slightly irritated. "Finally."

Yori smiled. "Try not to beat her up too much. She has to train with Svarti tomorrow."

Leif's brow furrowed at his best friend. "You're letting them go together...alone?"

Yori shrugged and looked over at me. "It's not like she is unable to protect herself." He shrugged and took a swig of whatever liquid was in his mug this morning. "It's not as if she were a maiden who's valor needs protecting." 

In a quick fit of rage, I threw a pot, which usually held flowers I liked, at him. "That was taken from me Yori. It wasn't given away freely."

Yori's smirk went away. He looked down for a moment before looking back at me. 

"Good job Yori." Leif motioned for me to leave the home. 

I heard shushed arguing as i walked away, towards the outskirts of the village. I knew that Leif would catch up with no problems.

"He didn't mean it like that, Kat." Leif said as he caught up. 

"Let's just get this going Leif."

He nodded. "Alright. Lesson one." He swung on me, knocking me on my rump. "Always have your guard up."

He smiled down at me. 

It was going to be a long day.

-----

Yori laughed when he noticed Leif bring me in. 

I wasn't completely unable to walk, but i was tired and i hurt all over. 

"How'd she do?" Yori smiled as he looked over me.

Leif shrugged. "She needs work. She's slow and weak. We'll train her right out of that though."

Yori too me from Leif's arm. I had been able to walk, I just needed help on my right side. Leif had taught me a lesson when I started mouthing off at him after we had eaten our lunch. 

He kicked my leg out from right under me, leaving a welt and a bruise that was bigger than his whole foot.

I didn't even change out of my dirty clothes. As soon as Leif laid me into bed, I was asleep.

-----

I had nightmares.

I dreamt about my village dying. 

I was swimming in their blood.

I woke up with a start, pushing myself up into a sitting position. 

I caught my breath, just to be startled by two men hurrying into my room.

I huffed and looked at them. "What do you two want?"

"You called out." I knew Leif's voice immediately. 

"I didn't mean to." I ran a hand through my dirty, stinky hair, trying to tame the madness that I knew they were looking at. 

"This is the second night in a row,"Yori said as he sat down next to me. 

I shrugged. I could smell the brew on his breath. Even though it was very obvious that he was intoxicated, he was trying to hold it together. 

I gave him a small smile. "I'm sorry Yori."

I glanced over at Leif, who stayed in the doorway. 

"I'll be fine. Go enjoy your night."

He leaned forward to give me a hug, but stopped. "You need to bathe cousin."

I punched at him. He dodged and laughed. "Ok. Let's go," Yori told Leif with a slap on his shoulder.

Leif lingered for a moment, but followed his friend out.

I sighed and looked around. I did need to bathe.