SIX

Kadlin

I was very confused for a moment. I stared at him without saying anything for a minute. The only advances I had ever had towards me were the kind that came unwanted.

Svarti had never made that kind of move on me. I didn't think he felt that way towards me. I didn't know if he was going to be like the rest of the men in the village and see me as a piece of property that could be used in whatever way he saw.

I thought Svarti was an actual friend.

I turned and started walking away from me.

I heard him exhale behind me and slowly start to follow me.

It wasn't until we were almost back did I feel his hand grasp my arm.

"Wait."

Like a good little girl, I listened and stopped.

"I'm not going to make you do anything you don't want to, Lin." Him using the name that only he used eased my tension.

I looked over at him. "I don't know what to do Svarti. I'm not a free woman here."

He nodded. "That's never bothered me. I know it's not your fault that you're here. You were once a free woman and I don’t doubt that you will be again someday."

I shook my head. "I will never be a free woman. Taf will never let that happen." I fought back the disgust that ran through me at the thought of Taf touching me again. "I will die before Taf lets me go free."

"Maybe I can talk to him."

I quickly shook my head. "You need to let it rest, Svarti. He will kill you if he thinks you have interest in me. He would kill you if he knew that you kissed me."

Svarti sighed, knowing I was right.

"You need to go home and forget this day ever happened."

He nodded tensely. He didn't like the idea.

"I have more of what you've asked for." He handed the small bag to me. "Do you think it's working?"

I nodded and smiled at the bag. This was my ticket to freedom. Slowly poisoning Taf would be my escape. Once he died, the village would be in chaos as they fought for his power, and I would escape, go home.

I know where my home is, but it would take me too long to get there on foot. I needed a horse and supplies. My plan was slowly coming together.

I just needed to get everything together so that I could finally go home.