EIGHT

Kadlin

The stream was free from prying eyes. I bathed quickly regardless. I didn't want to get caught naked around any of the men. I had gone two months without being assaulted and I wanted to keep that way.

I braided my wet hair as I walked back to the village. I could hear the sounds coming from the great hall that told me they were already deep in their festivities. The earl's wife had birthed another son. They were showing their thanks to the gods for delivering the boy safely.

I pulled hair back with an intricate braid that had my arms hurting from the strain it took to finish the braid.

I used to like braiding the children's hair, but I haven't wanted to touch the children in a very long time. Each day felt longer than the other when I thought about what had happened. I shook my head and cleared all sad thoughts.

I needed to be strong.

I would get my revenge. I was determined of that.

I kept the herbs tucked away in a pocket I had sewn into the dress I was forced to wear to such events. I wasn't going to go until I absolutely had to. The less time I was there, the better.

The dark dress was uncomfortable and itched when it moved over my skin. I hated it, and that’s why I was forced to wear it.

I stayed away from the house, to avoid Taf coming to look for me in his drunkenness. I stayed away from the great hall to avoid all of the others drunkenness.

There was once when I had gotten comfortable around these people and ended up regretting it. I climbed onto one of the homes near the great hall. The roof offered me safety and a view on the festivities.

It was very dark and no one had noticed that I wasn't there. I had gotten lucky this time. I was about to make my way down the side of the home and go to sleep when I looked out into the waters. I could vaguely make out ships. I smiled to myself knowing what that meant.

A raiding party was coming ashore.