THREE

---Kadlin---

My face throbbed.

The earth heaved beneath me, knocking me around and disorienting me.

I opened my eyes to see men I didn't recognizing rowing. I was in a storm with these men. The skies were grey and black. The wind howled. The sky lit up with the mighty strikes of Thor's anvil. The gods were angry. That was the only explanation.

I pushed myself up to immediately feel sick. The memories of what happened came flooding back. I had been taken from my home. My village was probably lying in ashes by now.

I stood to my feet and ran for the side of the heaving boat. Water splashed up and knocked me back. I fell back against an older, battle worn man. He sneered at me. "Get back to your spot before someone kills you!"

I took two steps back and fell with the jostle of another massive wave. I didn't think we would make it, but the men had faith. The canopy over the rowers kept out most of the water. They didn't look worried. If anything, they looked tired. I looked around to see land far off in the distance. It would only be by the will of the gods that I survived a swim so far, but it was worth the risk. Better to die at sea a free woman than to be stuck as a slave to one of these men.

I ran for the edge and managed to get my knee on the side of the boat. All I had to do was fall over the shields and then dodge the massive oars. I hesitated upon seeing the black and angry sea, but that wouldn't stop me.

Searing pain on my scalp, however, stopped me in my tracks. I was pulled back into that old man by my hair. He held on roughly. All I could do was hold on to his hand while he held firmly onto my ornate braid. I had spent hours on it.

"And where do you think you are going? To join the gods?" he laughed and threw me back to the spot I had woken up on.

"You'd do best to stay there before I step on you sweetling."

"How dare you-!" I started. He turned on me and instilled fear deep within me. I could see death staring back out me through his eyes.

"You will sit down and shut that hole on your face before I knock you out again!"

I didn't get up from the ground. This man could kill me with one blow. He had held the back of my skull with his hand. I'm sure those hands could crush my skull if he wanted to.

Like an obedient child, I stayed down and shut my mouth. I didn't need the trouble he promised while my face was already throbbing.

I was soaked to the bone and cold. I needed furs and new clothes when this stupid boat made for land. I didn't want to get sick and die. I needed my strength if I was going to fight these men for my freedom.

I'm not sure how long it took to get to land, but the seas leveled out quickly and the boats docked.

"Move it, girl," the big man said, pushing me with his foot.

"I'll get up when I mean to!" I said defiantly.

A quick slap across my jaw had me rethinking my responses. These were mean men and I was a slave. I wasn't a free and equal woman to say what I wanted anymore.

Things were going to be very different.

I looked back at the man was tear filled eyes. The slap stung and had uncontrolled tears cloud up my vision. I stubbornly rubbed my eyes so the tears wouldn't fall.

I wouldn't let these men see me cry. I wouldn't break in front of them. I wouldn't allow myself to show weakness in front of them.

I was stronger than that.