ONE

---Kadlin ---

The day started out being a day like all of those before. I had gone through my morning chores. The animals were fed and the fields were watered. But in the back of my mind, there was something bothering me. Something was going to happen. I could feel it in my bones.

Something was wrong.

The wind whipped my braids towards the sea. I looked over to see boats on the horizon. Those weren't any I recognized. I dropped the bucket that was meant to be filled with water and grabbed my skirts to run.

The village couldn't see the impending doom coming towards it. I ran for the village as fast as my feet could carry me. The skirts my father insisted I started wearing were hindering me more than helping me. I would've killed for pants to run in. I jumped over a stream, slid under a decaying log and whipped my face with vegetation.

I had gone on a long walk and ended up too far from the village. Normally it would be fine and no one would miss me, but everyone I loved was in danger.

I knew that the boats would be there before I was. I wasn't the fastest and the skirts were slowing me down. I momentarily cursed my father for making me wear them. He wanted me to be more of a lady, like my mother was, than the shield-maiden that I wanted to be.

I crouched behind shrubbery when I could hear the sounds of the raiding party. They weren't silent about their pillage. They weren’t anyone I recognized. I had no idea who these men were or where they came from. Some of the villagers screamed and ran while the men tried in vain to protect their families. Some of the men took up shields to fight, but we weren't prepared.

The best of the fighting men weren't here. They were north, raiding.

This isn't fair!  She seethed to herself. This was a mostly peaceful village. Anyone who was of a sword wielding age was a day and a half day's ride north by now.

The bow I trained with was in my home. I wasn't stupid enough to think that I could kill any of these invaders. These were trained warriors. I was due to turn sixteen in two days. All I had on my person was a small dagger for protection. Being the only surviving child and daughter of the only blacksmith in the clan, I knew how to wield a sword. It wasn't something my father was happy about, but I insisted on needing the skill.

I steadied my breathing before leaving my hiding spot. I knew I needed to get to my bow and my sword. The small dagger would give me no protection from these men.

As quietly as I could manage, I climbed through the un-shuttered window and quietly walked to where my sword was hidden. It was special to me, made by my eldest brother. It was the perfect weight for me. I needed it.

I could hear the invading men ransacking my home through the thin wall that separated us. They were searching for weapons. Our home was connected to my father's working area.

The earl we were loyal to was due to pick up his weapons tomorrow, so these men were hitting the jackpot. The village's warriors would have no new, or even repaired, swords.

I peeked around the corner to see that the area wasn't clear. Two of the burly, dirty men were making a disaster out of my home in the search of anything valuable.

I quickly stepped back into the cover of my room. If I were caught, I would be killed. If I wasn't killed I would be raped and deemed a slave for what was left of my life. I would never let myself be condemned to that kind of life.

I held my sword tight and ready as the two invaders approached me.

"You two!" An angry voice boomed, ceasing the steps of the two closest men to me. "Get over here and help carry these!"

The sound of clanking swords and shields had a distinctive sound. All of that hard work for nothing, I thought, the earl would hear of this attack and her father would have to face the shame of not being able to stop them.

The thought was heart wrenching. Her father loved the chieftain. This would dishonor him, ruining him.

But maybe I could, I thought with as much courage as I could muster. There were only a couple of them. I glanced around once to see the backs of the men.

I took one deep breath to steady myself, then turned the corner with my bow drawn.

I released two bolts, each hitting their targets before I reached for my sword. By the time I had it out of the sheath, I was taken over. One of the men slapped me across the cheek. I could taste the blood as my world spun. I was on the ground and fighting for consciousness when the boot of one of them men sent me into complete darkness.