FIVE

4 years later…  Kadlin

I breathed in and out slowly. I learned years ago that in these situations, you needed to be quiet as a mouse if you wanted to eat.

I could feel the fatigue from staying in one position too long.

But my meal was in sight. I just needed to be patient.

A loud thump behind me had my arrow loosened and my dinner hopping away from me.

I turned around, terrified that Taf or any of the other villagers had seen me hunting with a bow, to see someone who I wanted to loosen another arrow into.

Svarti smiled coyly at me as he leaned against a tree. "Almost had that one."

Because he was one year older than me and had different anatomy than me, he thought he knew everything.

"I didn't give you that bow to shoot your eye out," he said when I narrowed my eyes on him.

"That was my dinner you scared away. Do you know how long it has been since I've had a rabbit to myself?"

The brightness of his smile faded, I could see the pity swimming in his eyes. He'd never admit it to anyone, but he didn't agree with the treatment of the slaves in his village.

This village would never be my village. It would have to be my home, and this place would never be.

"Luckily I've killed a buck this evening."

I rolled my eyes at his pride. "Praise Odin."

He laughed. "I would almost think that honest."

I reached back for another arrow. "You'd better run."

Instead of taking my advice, he did the opposite, he came closer.

I pointed the readied arrow at him. "You think I'm joking?"

He shook his head and tapped the arrowhead with his finger. "I would never think you were joking about such a thing. However, you would miss me if you stuck an arrow through my brain."

I scoffed. "Miss you, I'd have to—"

My words were cut off when his mouth came crashing onto mine.

"like me," he finished my sentence in a whisper when he pulled away.