ELEVEN

Kadlin

I saw the dagger that Yori had pressed against my neck. I feel to my knees and grabbed the blade with both hands. It was one that my father had made. I remembered overseeing my father as he made the dagger for my cousin. I had been so excited to present Yori with his first dagger and proud that I had been around during its forging.

I was amazed that he still had it.

Yori groaned as he looked over at me. "You shouldn't plan on doing anything with that. You'd regret it."

I gave my cousin a small smile and saw something in his eyes change. "I'm surprised this thing is still in one piece."

His brows furrowed. I could see him thinking through his eyes.

I looked at the filigree that had once gone from the handle down the side of the blade. Blood stuck in the grooves that were left. The metal was worn and scratched, but still very sharp. "This used to be so beautiful. The new smith isn't as talented."

His eyes narrowed in fury on mine. The pain in his groin had obviously subsided at the memories of the past. "What would you know of the smith that we once had? Were you there when your masters killed him?"

I looked down at the blade, once again reliving my father's death all over again.

"I was a free woman when my father was killed," I stated defensively.

Yori's eyes grew wide as he processed what I had said. "You're not my kin. She died a long time ago."

I shook my head. "I managed to survive Yori."

"What's your name?" He asked carefully.

"Kadlin," I said with a smile. I loved being able to say my name again.

"My cousin had blonde hair. Not that dark hair on your head."

I looked down at my long hair, then back up at him. "I was just wrestling you in the mud, Yori."

In a fury, he stomped towards me and grabbed me by my neck. He threw the blade onto the beach and threw me into the water.

Despite my protests, he kept dunking me in the water while everyone around us watched.

I screamed and pushed him when he let me finally come up and take a real breath. I felt like he was trying to suffocate me.

"How dare you!" I kept hitting at him.

He smiled at me. "You were telling me the truth!"

He wrapped his arms around me in a suffocating tight hug.