CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

I gathered up some loose clothing and made my way to get some water. A quick bathing would do me wonders.

Quietly, I gathered what I needed and left the house. It was always better, in my opinion, to bathe in big bodies of water. There was something so freeing about being one with nature.

I know I stayed out longer that I was supposed to.

The main indication was the frantic look on my cousin's face when he saw me walking back to the house.

He was outraged. "Where have you been?"

Yori grabbed my arm and pulled me until we were inside of the house.

"We have been looking for you! We were about to send the village out looking for you!"

"I was bathing!" I said exasperated. "There is no harm done Yori!"

He scoffed. He had been drinking too much. I could smell it coming off of him. "No harm done!"

"You might have been able to disappear with no one caring before, but you're living with me now!"

"Yori!" Leif's voice boomed from the entryway.

Yori rolled his eyes before turning to look at his friend. "What?"

"Go to bed. I'll talk to her," Leif's voice offered no room for Yori to object. I saw some internal debate within Yori, but he threw up his hands and left, going to his bed.

Leif waited until we could both hear Yori's soft snores.

"He's quick to sleep when he's had his drink."

"That's good to know." I stood up, still holding onto my soiled clothes.

"You're not getting out of it that easily." Leif's voice was gentle enough to make it feel as though he wasn't yelling. I'm sure he just didn't want to wake up Yori. "We were both worried."

I sighed. "It was just a bath."

Leif nodded. "But you were gone without a word. Someone could have taken you. You could have been hurt and we wouldn't have known where to look. We just care that you are safe.”

I nodded. "I know that you guys care for my safety. I don't understand why he's freaking out."

"He's worried about you." Leif walked closer and stopped a few feet from me. "You've been calling out at night. You're suffering, which makes him nervous. He hasn't had anyone to care about in a very long time. You two are all you have."

I nodded and looked down. "Can i just go to bed? I'm tired."

Leif shook his head. "No. When you call out, he'll just wake up and freak again."

"I'm tired Leif." I really was. That and I really didn't want to talk about this anymore.

"Fine. Go to your bed. You have a few minutes before I go in there."

"Why are you following me into my room?" I asked confused, but mostly offended. Why wouldn't I be allowed to sleep by myself?

"When you call out, I'll wake you before you wake Yori the beast up."

"I'm not going to talk you out of this, am I?"

Leif shook his head with a smile. "Not at all."

Without saying anything else, I went to my bed. I cleared enough space on the floor for him to sleep.

He came in with several furs. He laid them out and saved one to go on top of him. The only reason I didn't fight with him was because he was sleeping away from me. He wasn't forcing himself into my bed as I was used to before.

"Sleep Kat." Leif laid down on his stomach and draped a fur over himself. "I'm a light sleeper. You wont wake up Yori."

I debated on my choice of sleepwear. The fabric was thinner than some of my other options, but it was comfortable. Leif wouldn't be seeing anything anyway.

It took some effort, but I soon fell asleep.

And just like the nights before, the nightmares began.

I was drowning in the blood of my villagers and family while Svarti cut them all down.

A gentle hand on my arm woke me from the dream.

I quickly looked over, expecting the nightmare to change to a time when I had a midnight visitor. But it was Leif. He was kneeling beside my bed. He looked tired. Then I remembered that he had slept in my room.

"You're okay." His tired voice said.

Sleep was still on his face. He must have been a very light sleeper.

"No one's going to kill you. You're safe."

And I believed him. I turned onto my side and put my hand on his outstretched arm. It looked like he has just rolled over and lifted up enough to reach onto my raised bed. The raised area kept the chill away.

The chill that I could feel on Leif's arm.

"You're frozen Leif."

He gave a small smile. "Well, it's much colder down here."

"Sleep up here." I moved as far as I could, which left plenty of room for another person.

Well, enough for a normal person. Not the huge body that was Leif.

"I don't know Kat." He was too tired to argue. I knew he was.

"Just get up here before you catch a chill. Your father would be murderous if you caught your death by sleeping down there."

He grunted, but listened. He brought up three furs and laid down.

My bed wasn't the softest, but it was better than the hard ground.

Leif let out a small laugh, which came out more as a sigh than anything else. "Your cousin will be furious if he sees me here."

"Probably." I turned getting more comfortable. "If he knew that Svarti would stay with me some nights he'd lose his head."

I heard Leif turn his head toward me. "You shared your bed with Svarti?" The sleep was gone from his voice.

Then I realized how it sounded. "No. It was just like this. He kept my company when I would have bad days or nights when I was a slave."

"Did he ever make you do anything when you were a slave?"

I gave a small laugh as the ridiculousness of this situation.

"No, he didn't make me do any of the things you are thinking he might have." I sighed as I settled in for sleep. "I'm going to sleep now."

I heard an unhappy sigh come from Leif. He wanted to talk still, but he wouldn't make me talk. I liked that. Not having to do anything I was told was refreshing.

I soon fell asleep.

When the bad dreams started, they quickly went away and were replaced by peaceful, dreamless sleep.

It was the best sleep I had gotten in a long time.