SEVEN

Kadlin

I put the satchel inside of my shirt, hidden inside the cleavage.

I didn't feel bad for using Svarti to get the poison. He was the best person to find it. He was the tracker that they used in their raids. He was a valued and trusted member of the village.

If they knew he was helping me poison Taf, they would kill the both of us.

I made my way back to the house, stashing my bow and arrows before someone caught me with a weapon.

When I was first brought here, they caught me hunting. I loosened an arrow into one of the men when they came after me. It wasn't a fatal wound, his thigh ended up being fine. He just had a scar remaining.

I wasn't allowed near any types of weapons anymore. Svarti was the only one who didn't care if I had a weapon. He was the only one who bothered to help me, and I appreciated it. I hoped to get to repay him for his kindness one day. Maybe when I escaped and made my way back to my family, I could repay him.

Once inside the home, I changed. I didn't want anyone to see my dirty clothes. That might lead them to suspect something. I was combing my hair when the lady of the house walked in on me. Better her than Taf. I wasn't completely descent.

She narrowed her eyes on me and I resisted the temptation to do the exact same to her.

"We will be feasting in the great hall tonight. Wear something that will please the Earl. The sooner we can get you out of this home, the better." She turned on her heel and left immediately.

I didn't have a reply for her anyway.

That woman could've helped me when I needed it most, instead, she let the horror unfold and I would never forgive her for it. If anything, I would return the favor.

I knew if I went to the great hall like I was, it would shame myself and I wouldn't hear the end of it from her.

I grabbed a clean dress and a rag to clean myself. I needed to bathe and my favorite place to do that was a secluded stream. It would be nice to feel clean again.