11} Ambushes Are The Theme Of The Day

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song: "Say It Ain't So" By Weezer

Chapter Eleven: Ambushes Are The Theme Of The Day

I end up taking the bus home using the last bit of money I have for the week. The ride back has given me alone time and with it, thinking time. Like most thinking has never really benefited me much and instead usually just leaves my head in a jumbled mess. This little situation with Kate and her quiet frankly bitch tendencies are leaving me with little to no solution.

The computer has crashed.

When my stop comes its almost three in the afternoon and since school doesn’t get out for me until four-ish, I really am at a loss. What does one do with ones self when faced with a cavalcade of boredom? For me the option is clear, go the fuck home and hope for the best.

So that’s what I do.

Its about another hour’s long walk of me playing ‘Could You Be Loved’ and ‘Is This Love’ By Bob Marley in my head, complete with air guitar, while making my way. The songs have been a recent favorite of mine but also something I remember from when I was a kid. When my mom and dad used to have parties with the other trailer park people and barbeque outside. After she left though things predictably changed and the friends they had faded away with time.

As the trailer park comes into sight I come out of my internal jamming when the sound of something similar to my cell ringing hits my ears. Frowning I grab my backpack off my shoulder and rummage around until I find it. Opening it up I spot a notification telling me that I have missed five calls.

Five? Who the hell would be calling me?

When it rings again in my hand I bite my lip in consideration. Leather Lover <3 comes across my screen and I know it’s Sutton. I didn’t put her name in like that, by the way, she did it and every time it pops up I blush scarlet. It sounds like we’re in some kinky Fifty Shades of Grey type shit, which I don’t think is my thing and if it was Sutton would not be my partner.

Blonde just do not do it for me.

With a sigh I shove the phone back in my bag and throw it back over my shoulder. Its not that Kate’s talk has gotten to me. Okay, maybe it did…just a bit. Okay a lot. Fuck, I don’t know but it was weird and the idea of having the bubble gum queen off my ass is an appealing one. She quiet frankly freaks me out.

Entering the trailer park is always a bittersweet feeling. It’s been my home since I was five but with everything that’s happened here I can’t help be a bit bitter towards it. Usually everyone keeps to themselves unless it suits them not to. Everyone knows everyone else’s business but no body says anything to anyone else outside of the confines of their trailer. It’s almost an unspoken park rule.

The rule has made my life here easy as well as hard. Since hanging out with Sutton I’ve come home at odder hours and with unknown people but no one has told my dad. It’s made it harder by the fact that when they hear the shouting, yelling, breaking glass and nasty words my dad likes to sling in my direction, I know I’m alone on this one. The memory of it all makes me all tense just thinking about.

I don’t relax again until I see that my dad’s rusted out shit box of a Cadillac isn’t in front of the house. For being as poor as we are you wouldn’t think my dad has a job but he does. Working down at the cannery about two towns over gives him a place to go and about five liquor stores on in each direction. That’s where most, if not all the money goes, into those bottles he tosses at my head.