23} The Great Escape

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song: "I'm With You" by Avril Lavigne

Chapter Twenty-Three: The Great Escape

“What the fuck is going on?” Dad slurs at me, steadying himself on my doorframe. His dirty blonde hair is matted against his forehead and his eyes are glazed as usual. His t-shirt is stained with god knows what and in his hand I spot a familiar brown bottle in his hand. Wiping his mouth on the back of his hand he sneers, “Huh? What the fuck do you think you’re doing in my house?”

“Dad I was just—“

“Who are you?” Dad asks with a nod towards Lou.

“Louis Monroe.”

“Monroe.” Dad repeats, “Sounds like you’re on the wrong side of town, boy.”

“D-Dad, he’s a friend.”

He snorts, “A friend? Friends don’t do what I saw you doing.”

“H-He…”

“You bringing your filth into my house now?”

I shake my head as I step around Lou, “No, dad, he’s—“

“Just like your mother.” He spits, “Dirty whores the both of you.”

I step back as though he slapped me. He doesn’t talk about mom. He doesn’t even say her name and to now throw her in my face is a low blow, even for him. I don’t respond right away because I’m trying to collect myself but Lou has no problem speaking up. In fact he sounds like he’s been dying to say something for awhile.

“Don’t speak to her like that.” Lou says through gritted teeth.

Dad lets out a bitter laugh, “Boy, she must have pulled the blinds on you if you think she’s anything else but a whore. Coming in all hours of the night with hickeys on her neck and makeup slathered on her face. You here me, Emerson? You’re nothing.”

“I won’t warn you again, old man.”

“Can’t fight your own battles now?” Dad taunts, “Gotta get this week’s meal ticket to stick up for you.”

“You don’t know anything.” I snap.

He smirks at the sight of my anger, “Stupid bitch.”

“Hey!” Lou yells and tries to go for him. I put my hand out and stop him before he can go for him. Looking up at him I tell him as best I can that I don’t want him to step in. He doesn’t need to get his hands dirty with my shit.  

“I can take care of this.” I whisper to him.

“I’m not leaving you here with him alone so don’t even suggest it.”

I nod before turning back toward my narrowed eyed father, “What do you want me to say dad? You saw what you saw but that doesn’t mean you call me anything.”

He snorts dismissively, “I’m your father baby girl.  I can do whatever I want with you.”

“Not anymore.” I whisper with a shake of my head, “I’m not dealing with this shit anymore.”

“You say that every time but you come crawling back. No one takes you in, no one cares about you, Emerson, no one but me. You’re going to leave the only person you have left in this god forsaken world?”

I glance up at Lou to see him nod at me. Turning back to my dad I tell him, “You aren’t all I have anymore, dad and you can’t guilt me into staying anymore.”