33} And The Next American Idiot Is...

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song: "(Can't Get My) Head Around You" By The Offspring

Chapter Thirty-Three: And The Next American Idiot Is...

Principle Gallagher comes towards me looking completely shocked. Whether its by my voice, my playing or just the fact I got applause is beyond me. Either way she looks surprised enough to give birth to a full grown cow. I shrug and give her a shy smile. Honestly I'm pretty surprised myself.

I move out of the way so she can head to the microphone still looking bewildered, "That...was Emerson Knoll."

The crowd bursts with applause and jerk back from the sheer volume. It's crazy but I can't help but be thrilled. I mean come on! How cool is that? Actually I feel a little smug. I mean no one saw that coming. Well maybe you guys did but everyone else sure as hell didn't!

I give a frantic and ungraceful wave to the audience and run off stage. Handing my guitar to some freshman kid I run into Lou's welcoming arms. He pulls me into an oxygen-cutting hug. He spins me around a little before sweeping me up in an equally oxygen-cutting kiss. I kiss him back just as hard. Screw the stupid show, his obvious pride in me is worth much more than some stupid win.

"You're fucking amazing you know that?" He pants as he pulls back.

I bit my lower lip shyly and take my guitar back from the freshman, "Thanks."

"Oh my god!"

Lou turns me a little so I can see Sutton running into the backstage area. Lou lets me down with a sigh and takes my guitar from me. Sutton quickly picks up where he left off by crushing me in her arms. I let out a wheeze and I think something in my spine cracks as she holds me. Suddenly she lets me down and I stumble back a little.

"You're fucking amazing!"

I laugh loudly before covering my mouth as another kid goes on stage. I wince a little as I notice some dirty looks and apologize before turning to Sutton again. She's freaking me out a little with her huge grin.

"That's exactly what Lou said."

"Yeah well great minds think alike," She dismisses before adding, "But seriously you could do this shit for a living! I'll be your manager and Lou can be your number one groupie/bitch for life! It'll be great."

I roll my eyes but can't stop the grin on my face, "I don't think that's in the cards but thanks Sutton."

"I'm so proud of you," She yells before grabbing me in another hug, "God, I feel like a mama bird kicking her baby bird out of the nest and seeing it not land on its face."

"Oh my god." I chuckle before looking at Calvin pleadingly. He must have shown up with Lou.

Someone for the love of god help me before she kills me.

When she releases me I'm snatched up in Lou's arms again. He stands behind me and wraps his arms around my shoulders before kissing my temple. A whole host of animals go crazy in my stomach and I can feel my face heat up. I love him so much right now its almost kind of disgusting.

 "Gross," Tommy says as he enters in with Carla, "Can you love birds not love up on each other around me? Its like watching your parents having sex."

"Then don't watch." Lou says simply before nuzzling my neck.

"Didn't you walk in on your parents once?" Sutton asks.

Tommy makes a face in the dark, "Yeah. They were doing it doggy style. Put me off sex for four whole hours."