38} Help From Unlikely Places

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song: "Hash Pipe" By Weezer

Chapter Thirty-Eight: Help From Unlikely Places

Compared to the excitement of the weekend, I figured Monday would shape up to be terribly boring. I was looking forward to some brain numbing classes and just being left alone to fall asleep when I can. I was tossing and turning last night in my sleep. The idea that maybe I messed Lou's relationship with his parents even more than it already was, is haunting me. I mean, I'm used to causing issues for people but these are his parents. That's a whole different level of screwing up.

Something hard hits me in the cheek and I look up to see Sutton smirking at me. We're in the cafeteria, something I'm still not totally comfortable with but am learning to deal with it. Yesterday all we did was lounge around the house and watch a horror movie marathon. I don't know how many Evil Dead movies I watched yesterday but I do know I'm in love with Bruce Campbell.

Looking down at the table I see a chip lying on the table in front of me. I pick it up and raise a brow at Sutton, only causing her smirk to widen. Sutton looks like herself again. Messy bleached to hell hair, red lips, dark eye makeup with a leather jacket and combat boots. Oddly enough, I find this version of her way less intimidating than the country club Barbie look she had over the weekend. Absently I wonder what Calvin would think if he saw her like that.

Another salted chip hits me in the face and I scowl at Sutton, "What the hell?"

"Hey, Dorothy, welcome to back to Kansas." She says with a syrupy sweet smile.

Picking up the chip, I throw it back at her but she dodges it and it gets stuck in Carla's curls. I gasp before covering my mouth because Sutton keeps signaling for me to shut up. I watch, feeling really guilty, as Sutton tries to get the chip out while Carla continues to focus on texting whoever she's texting. Sutton's just about to touch it when Carla's voice makes us both freeze.

"Touch my hair and I'll kill you, Monroe."

She doesn't even look up at Sutton when she says that. She just keeps texting and I stare wide eyed at Sutton trying to figure out what to do. Sutton shrugs but when I give her a really panicked look she sputters into dorky donkey laughter. Carla is really, really into her hair. If she found out I threw that she'll cut me. I know she will. Still, when she doesn't say anything I feel like I should say something.

"Um, Carla..."

Carla frowns a little but glances up at me, "Yes?"

"There's a..." I trail off feeling my mouth go dry, "Uh..."

"What?" She sighs, looking up at me with annoyed green eyes.

I gesture to my hair, "In your hair."

"What about my hair?"

"Chip...hair...in....there." I mumble, tensing my body so it's ready for when I have to run for my life.

Carla reaches up and feels around her beautifully messy curls before her fingers pick the chip out. She looks at the chip for a few minutes before she looks up at me. I feel my stomach rise up into my throat as she looks at me placidly. Then, without breaking eye contact, she takes a bite out of it. Her perfectly arched eyebrows rise as she makes a pleased humming sound.

"Hmm...not bad," she says before popping the rest of it in her mouth.

My jaw drops and Sutton is practically crying she's laughing so hard. I thought she'd kill me! Tommy flicked some ash in her direction and in got in her hair just last week and she punched him in the jugular. I'm still gaping at her when Carla gives me a grin and winks at me.