4} When Trouble Comes Knocking

© Amber Kalkes 2014

Song: "In Too Deep" By Sum 41

Chapter Four: When Trouble Comes Knocking.

The rest of the day is pretty uneventful and since my dad is out of town for the night it appears to be just as uneventful at home. Settling onto the ratty old couch we have in the small room dubbed our living room, I flip on the TV. We only get the basic channels so I just settle on an episode of ‘Everybody Loves Raymond’. Throwing my throw blanket over my lap just as the doorbell rings.

Shit.

Now throwing off my blanket I go to the door but keep the chain on the door as I crack it open. Surprise would not even cover what I’m experiencing as not only Sutton but also Carla and Tommy stand on our plywood deck. Sutton has a cigarette hanging from her mouth as she leans against the doorway and smirks at me.

“Hey there, stranger.”

“What are you doing here?” I hiss in horror.

She shrugs and pulls the cigarette from her mouth, “I was in the neighborhood.”

“Bullshit.”

Tommy chuckles and grins at me, “Even your swearing sounds like a kitten meowing.”

Ignoring him I narrow my eyes at Sutton. “Seriously. What are you guys doing here? You can’t just drop by my house unannounced.”

“Why not?” Sutton asks with a frown. “Strict parents?”

“Something like that.” I mutter before sighing, “Listen, just state your business and go.”

“We’re going to a party and you're coming with.”

My jaw drops open before I squeak, “But its Thursday.”

“Yeah and every night is a weekend if you have the balls. Do you have the balls, Emmy?” Tommy taunts.

“Hell no.”

All of them burst into laughter. I don’t see the joke. I do not do parties and most likely never will. Parties have people at them and people are the things I’ve been trying to avoid about ninety percent of my life. A party is just not an appealing prospect to me but from the stubborn look on Sutton’s face I don’t think I’m going to have much of a choice.

“You're going to make me aren’t you?”

“Damn straight.”

Rolling my eyes I close the door and slip the chain lock off the door. Opening the door again I turn away from the group and head back to my couch. I know what of a shit hole I live in but since they aren’t leaving they’re going to have to deal with it. Falling back onto the couch I watch the three walking into my house, looking it over as they enter.

I try really hard to not be bothered by the wide-eyed stares.

“What the hell are you wearing?” Carla asks looking completely horrified.

Glancing down at my outfit I shrug. “Clothes.”

Actually I’m being kind. In reality I’m in an oversized bright pink nightshirt with a huge water colored cat on it, complete with a huge blue bow in its neck. The hem of my cotton rainbow shorts is well hidden under it since the shirt falls just above my knees. My hair is in a rat’s nest of a quick attempt at a bun on the top of my head. This ‘look’ is completed with my brown thick-rimmed glasses that most would call hipster but I would call grandma chic. If I were to call it anything close to a fashion statement I mean.