10} The Good, The Bad And The Bitchy

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song: "Loser" By 3 Doors Down

Chapter Ten: The Good, The Bad And The Bitchy

“Hey, Sugar.” Willis smiles at me as he comes out the back door of the Stop And Go. He’s an older man, maybe in his mid-fifties with kind brown eyes and freckled chocolate skin. With his white balding hair on his head and bushy gray mustache he reminds me of someone’s grandfather.

Unluckily, not mine.

Giving him a small smile back I wave, “Hey, Willie.”

“You come for the goods?” He asks holding up a white paper bag.

“If the hunters didn’t take them all.” I admit with a little blush.

“Come on now, Honey, you know I always save you a few.”

Handing me the bag I peek inside to see four glazed donuts. Grinning widely I reach into the bag and pull on out before tearing into it. If my taste buds could die and go to food heaven they would taste glazed donuts all day long, I swear.

“Good?” Willis chuckles.

“As always.” I say despite my full mouth. Swallowing it I begin fidgeting with the end of my sweatshirt sleeve, really hating to say what I’m about to. “Um, so I can’t pay you for them today. Not all of them at least. I found about fifty cents in the couch yesterday but I need them for batteries. Do you think I could come by sometime later this week or something?”

“Honey, I told you before you don’t have to pay me for them. We pretty much give them away to the hunters for their bear traps. Its nothing.”

“But—“

“I ain’t hearing.” Willis says waving his hand. Its then I realize that his left hand is behind his back. When he pulls it out I notice a covered Styrofoam cup in his hand with steam coming off it. “And because you tried to pay again I’m going to punish you with another free hot chocolate.”

“Willie, I can—“

He cuts me off again with a clearing of his throat. “Emerson, don’t make me give you something else for free.”

Shutting my trap I reach out and take the cup. I’ve known Willis since I was fourteen and he caught me trying to steal some food. We were both younger then but he hadn’t broken his hip just yet so he was fast enough to catch me. He seemed to realize that I actually needed the food and ever since then he’s had me coming to the convenience store to get breakfast.

When he’s working a morning shift. If its an evening shift it’s a dinner of hot pockets. I stopped coming for those though, they don’t get thrown out the next day like the donuts. Still, Willis likes to give me free things and on the condition that I just take them without complaint he doesn’t ask for payment. Not that I don’t offer of course.

Taking a quick sip of the hot chocolate I feel it warm me from the inside out. “Thanks, Willis. I really appreciate it.”

“I know you do honey. Now off to school with you.”

“Okay.” I smile with a nod. “Have a good day.”

“You too, Sugar.”

I downed two more donuts before the school grounds come sight and the dread is building with every step I take. Despite having friends now the fear and anxiety of the building gives me isn’t going disappear over night. So as I try to drain the rest of the hot chocolate out of the cup like its spinach and I’m Popeye my stepping speed slows.