T W E L V E

~*~

     Ivy and Five sat at the bar, Reginald slowly taking his seat next to them as there was already three glasses set up and a bottle in front of them. Ivy reached behind the bar, grabbing a different bottle as she already knew she didn't like whatever Reginald had to offer. 

     "Hey, hey, what are you doing?" Five asked, grabbing her wrist. 

     "Getting a drink," she responded. 

     "No, you're not," Five said, Ivy rolling her eyes at him. 

     "You seem to be the sensible ones of the bunch," Reginald said, Ivy slowly slipping out of her seat to walk around the bar. 

     "That's because I'm the oldest," Five told him. "You know, technically, I'm older than you right now." 

     "And I'm the smartest," Ivy said, bending down and grabbing tequila and vodka from below the counter. 

     "Cognac?" Reginald offered to Five. 

     "Just a smidge," he responded. 

     "The other night you two quoted Homer at me," Reginald said as he poured the drink. "Why?"

     "You forced us all to learn it as kids," Five explained to him. "In the original Greek, no less." It was silent for a moment, Ivy shaking up her drink. The bartender that was already there galred at her as she left while Five and Reginald drank. "Mmm. This world ends in five days if we don't get out of the timeline. 

     "Worlds end. Paleozoic, Jurassic, and so on," Reginald shrugged, looking at Five. 

     "We can do something about this one," Five argued. 

     "Man's greatest flaw: the illusion of control," Reginald said. 

     "I need your help," Five said. Ivy poured her drink, Five then reaching across the bar and taking it from her. "All right? You're my last sane option. Otherwise, I gotta make a deal that I really don't wanna make." Ivy sighed as she turned and walked into the kitchen to find food to eat instead. "What do you know about time travel?" 

     "In theory?" Reginald asked. 

     "In practice." 

     "I know it's akin to descending blindly into the depths of freezing waters and reappearing-" 

     "As an acorn. Yeah. Nailed that one into our brains," Ivy said, the two looking at her in the kitchen. 

     "What transpired when you tried traveling before?" Reginald asked.

     "I botched it," Five answered. 

     "How?"

     "I jumped too far forward, got stuck in the future for 45 years in an apocalypse," he said, nodding slowly. "Then I jumped too far backwards... except this time I brought my entire family with me." He looked over at Ivy as she didn't seem to be paying attention and was now making a sandwich.

    "Maybe your appetite is disproportionate to the size of your abilities. Start small. Seconds, not decades," Reginald told him, Five furrowing his eyebrows. 

    "Seconds?" Five asked. It was the same thing Ivy had told him three days ago. "Look, no offense, but I need a bit more time for what I'm trying to accomplish." Ivy finally looked over at them, knowing they didn't think much of her. But she was listening. Super hearing. 

     "So much can change in a matter of seconds. One could overthrow an empire," Reginald started, Five glancing at him. "One could fall in love." This time Five looked at Ivy, Reginald looking between the two. "An acorn doesn't become an oak overnight." Five tore his gaze away from Ivy, looking at Reginald again.

     "I was really hoping you had more than that," Five stated. 

     "I'm sorry I can't be of more help," Reginald offered. 

     "I'm sorry, too," Five said as Ivy started walking back over. "I gave you such a hard time as a kid. I didn't know any better." Ivy leaned across the counter, looking at the both of them. 

     "Hmm. No skin off my teeth, old man," Reginald said, tipping his glass to Five before drinking. 

     "I'm not sorry," Ivy said, the two of them looking at her. "I mean, every single thing I did got me to where I am today. I regret absolutely none of my life choices because I am still kicking it. I'm pretty grateful I'm not dead in the rubble of the Academy right now." Ivy finally grabbed her drink and sipped on it, Five nodding slowly at her. "Oh, also, Five, I told you so." She ruffled his hair, turning and walking out of the bar. He gave Reginald a tight smile before standing and following Ivy out. 

~*~

     The two walked out of the building, Five glancing back as Ivy was walking down the street with her arms out as if she was trying to balance on a tight rope. He could tell she wasn't drunk since she was walking in a straight line. He jogged to catch up with her, taking one of her hands as she smiled over at him. 

     "You seem to be in a good mood," he told her. 

     "Well, I'm bound to die in the next few days, why wouldn't I be?" Ivy asked, Five nodding with her. 

     "Ivy, I need to take the deal," Five said, making her stop to turn and look at him. "I need to... do what the Handler wants." 

     "I'm going with you," Ivy said immediately. 

     "No, Ivy-" 

     "No, Five, I know you're the best assassin of all time, but you need me," she said, pointing at him. "Remember 2019 when the Commission came to the diner and we - together - killed all of them?" 

     "Yes, I do," Five said with a sigh. 

     "If you're going to risk your life trying to save us, I'm risking my life with you, too," Ivy said, nodding at him as if she was absolutely sure of it. 

     "Ives, you can't expect me to agree with you on this," Five said, his voice lowering in case anyone was listening. 

     "I can actually light people on fire and burn them into a pile of ashes within seconds, and you don't want to bring me along?" Ivy asked, Five sighing at her very valid point. "That's your agreement sigh. You agree." 

     "Fine! Just follow my lead," Five said. Ivy nodded at him, Five spatial jumping them to a hotel. Ivy looked around as Five turned and knocked on the door in front of them. The Handler opened the door, a smile growing across the face when she saw the both of them. 

     "Just in time for a nightcap," she said. 

     "I will punch you in the throat," Ivy threatened, Five placing a hand on her shoulder. The Handler smiled at the girls comment as she was making a drink. She lit her cigarette, placing the pipe that held it to her lips. 

     "To be clear, we take out the board... You get me and my family home," Five said, The Handler looking at him. "No more doomsday, no more apocalypse. Is that correct?" 

     "That's the deal," she said with a wide smile on her face. 

     "Then I'm in," Five said. The Handler slowly pulled out a small piece of paper, the two eyeing it for a moment. Five then leaned forward and took it, looking at the address and year. He looked at Ivy, the two then looking at the Handler again. 

     Showtime. 

-----

so so so close
i know this chapter is short
but i couldn't fit the assassination in
plus last chapter was super long

i hope you all enjoyed!