𝐈𝐕. the trip upriver

𝐓𝐖𝐎 𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐆𝐁𝐎𝐀𝐓𝐒 slowly crept up the river

bella was seated beside gibbs in the second boat, one of her pistols in hand.

"what is it that has jack spooked?" will asked quietly. bella looked up at him, glanced up towards jack, then answered.

"dear jack has run afoul of none other than davy jones himself," she replied softly and seriously. "he thinks he's only safe on dry land, and if he ventures out to open water, he'll be taken."

"taken," will repeated.

"aye," gibbs agreed.

"taken," will said again disbelievingly.

"aye," gibbs responded.

"by davy jones?" will clearly didn't regard the story to be true.

"well, i'll tell you," gibbs started, settling into his storytelling persona. "if you believe such things, there's a beast what does the bidding of davy jones. a fearsome creature from the depths, with giant tentacles that'll suction your face clean off, and drag an entire ship down to the crushing darkness."

"the kraken," bella interrupted, ruining gibbs' suspenseful moment. he scowled at her before continuing.

"aye. they say the stench of its breath. . ." he shuddered. "imagine, the last thing you know on god's green earth is the roar of the kraken and the reeking odor of a thousand rotting corpses."

the group paused, visualizing the beast.

"if you believe such things," gibbs reiterated with a false smile.

will glanced at jack. "never thought jack the type to be afraid of dying," he remarked.

"me neither," bella answered. "but with jones, it's not about the dying — it's about the punishment. think of the worst fate you can conjure for yourself . . . stretching on forever . . . that's what awaits you in davy jones' locker."

they took a moment, imagining it.

"and the key can save him from that?" will wondered.

"now that's the very question jack wants answered," gibbs replied. 

". . . bad enough, even, to go visit . . ." bella grimaced. "her."

"her?" will said.

"aye," gibbs nodded knowingly. "her." he slowly turned away.

will raised his eyebrows. "when did you learn all this?" he asked bella directly.

she let a small grin spread across her face as she recalled the past year. "i've been living on a pirate ship for a bit, will," bella told him. "it changes you."

he shook his head. "you seem the same."

bella chuckled. "can't tell if that's a compliment or an insult."

"a compliment," he clarified.

"in that case. . ." she spun her pistol around her fingers masterfully a couple times. "i don't think you've seen enough of me yet."

they were silent for a minute.

"do you love him?" will finally asked in a soft tone, barely audible.

bella looked at him, unfazed.

"yeah," she said, emotion in her voice. will gave the slightest nod of approval. "why?" she questioned, a bit of confusion in her voice.

he thought about his answer for a second before speaking. "i just hope you're not making a mistake," he told her.

"i've always needed someone who sees the fire in my eyes and wants to play with it, not put it out," bella replied.

will sighed. "you know he always saves himself first, and now you're wrapped up in this davy jones mess. not to mention hundreds of men want his neck in a noose. it's dangerous with him, isn't it?"

"william . . . overall, you seem to be worried about the fact that jack's a pirate," bella sighed. "but have you forgotten? i am too!" she finished.

he looked at her with a sort of disagreement in his eyes.

bella shrugged and turned away, observing their surroundings.

as night slowly rolled in, the boats kept floating downstream.

a/n

sorry this chapter's kinda short :/

anyways, how are you all liking the story so far? please comment thoughts!

love you, sarah