𝐗. the brig

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐑𝐄𝐄𝐏𝐘 𝐌𝐀𝐍 𝐃𝐑𝐀𝐆𝐆𝐄𝐃 𝐉𝐀𝐂𝐊 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐁𝐄𝐋𝐋𝐀 𝐃𝐎𝐖𝐍 𝐓𝐎 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐆

jack saw the small hole in the cell wall and standing water on the ground then said, "apparently there's a leak."

the man didn't answer, but pulled open the cell door and shoved jack into it very violently.

he held onto bella a moment longer and looked at her greedily. "get your hands off me!" she slapped his arm. realizing she was serious, he shoved her into the cell, then slammed the door and locked it.

bella had been shoved quite hard, and jack caught her in his arms from falling to the drenched floor.

"thank you," she said, regaining her balance.

"thank you, love," jack said, letting go of her. "can't believe you stayed with me over mr. turner."

"i figured you'd have more experience dealing with barbossa and his crew," bella replied.

"not as fun of a captain as me, is he?" jack smirked.

"not even close. . ." bella walked over to the hole in the wall and poked her eye into it. "this ship really is fast."

"uncatchable," jack noted, joining her at the hole.

she turned back to him, aware of how close their bodies were. "they need will's blood, don't they?" she whispered in case any crew members were listening.

he looked down at her and paused. "what's it like being both sharp-witted and stunning?"

she smiled, then leaned in close to his face. "you tell me," she murmured, then pulled away and went to fidget with the lock. bella could feel jack's gaze behind her.

"yeah, they need his blood," he confirmed.

"lovely," she turned around. "we have something to barter with."

a grin spread across jack's face when he looked at her.

he looked at her the way she had always needed to be looked at. like the whole world could crumble, and he wouldn't blink. the two of them were certainly on the same wavelength, not to mention similar thinkers.

suddenly, a large explosion was audible. clearly, the interceptor was firing on the pearl. bella rushed over to the small hole in the ship and peered out.

sensing another fire was coming, jack pulled her back seconds before a cannonball bursted through the hole, and wrapped his arms around her. insanely shocked and frightened, bella didn't move out of his grasp right away.

jack let go of her and shouted: "stop blowing holes in my ship!"

the water in the cell was now knee-deep. jack saw a flask floating in the water, and bella recognized it from earlier: it belonged to gibbs.

another blow rocked the ship, and out of the corner of her eye, bella saw the cell lock had been hit by the cannonball. she quickly grabbed jack's arm and pulled him with her. they hurried up to the main deck, where pirates were firing guns at the interceptor.

jack spotted a pirate swinging back toward the black pearl. he caught the rope, looking back towards the ropeless man.

"thanks very much!" he called before taking bella's waist and hoisting her up with him. they swung out, the two crews locked in battle on the decks of both ships beneath them.

"jack! bella!" gibbs said in shock, seeing them return to the interceptor.

jack reached into his pocket and pulled out the flask, shoving it back into gibbs' hands. "bloody empty!"

he rushed through the deck, pulling bella with him by the hand.

a pirate was about to strike elizabeth, but jack caught his arm.

"that's not very nice!" he said to the pirate, then dropped bella's hand and grabbed elizabeth by the shoulders.

"where's the medallion?" he asked.

"wretch!" she almost slapped him, but jack caught elizabeth's hand before she could.

his eyes flicked to the bandage on her hand. "ah! where is dear william?"

elizabeth's eyes widened and she raced away. jack almost followed her, but bella held him back.

"look!" she pointed at barbossa's monkey climbing through the ropes with the medallion. he ran after it, bella close behind him.

the monkey dashed across the broken mast, still clutching the medallion. jack scrambled across after it, then looked up.

"why thank you, jack!" barbossa smiled widely.

"you're welcome," jack replied.

"not you," corrected barbossa. "we named the monkey jack."