Chapter 20

Again, drifting in the unconsious state I had oft encountered during the past month, I had no dreams. It was as if I was dead, but still occupied my body.

Though cogniziant, I could not think. I just breathed. Slow, even breaths that seemed to last an eternity each. Soon, though it felt like much longer, sounds of voices began pouring in.

I fluttered my eyes, and suddenly a pair of arms scooped me up, harshly ripping me out of the twilight that was my state of being.

Ivan sat beside my, a wide smile gracing his face. I mentally cringe for a moment, after seeing him crumpled and dead on the floor, stomach sliced open. But then I return his smile, and launch myself further into his arms.

"I've never been so happy to see someone in my life." I say with my lips pressed against his shoulder.

He pushes me back to see my face, and brushes back my hair. "And why is that?"

I blush, a light pink tint on my face. "You... were a part of my halucination. You died, but I saved you...I somehow put your life back in. A little golden light..."

He smiles, a look of awe. "Force of Life....Incredible."

At that moment, everyone else came crashing in. Ava dove for my feet, screaming my name in glee. Sage calmly walked towards me with a gleam in his eyes, and smirked at my position in Ivan's arms; the twins drifted in a second later.

Tarru mischeviously grins. "So?"

Torro matches. "How did you do?"

I laugh nervously, and shake my head. "I passed out soon after I woke up from the hallucinations. I was never told."

They all give nods and slight 'ah's' in acknowledgement. Then there is a hesitant knock at the door. Quizically, Sage strides over to it and cracks it. His body language screams distrust, but he flings it open so we all can see who it is.

Battered looking and bruised, Leo stands at the door. His hallucinations must have been hell for him, he looks worse than I feel.

He walks over to me, eyes filled with shame, and avoids my eyes. "Are you ok Cass? Did everything go okay?'"

Ever polite, I murmur a yes and nod. He looks around the room, and folds his hands.

"I'm leaving...for now. Another Academy needs a recruit, and I volunteered since we have so many here. I'm leaving in an hour, but i wanted to make things right."

He returns to my bedside, and even as Ivan cradles me in his arms, he grasps my shoulder.

"Just know I never meant it to end this way...ok Cassi? Know I'm sorry..."

With out another word, he turns to leave, but not before I see his stress tightened hands and the shine of tears in his eyes. My heart melts. I can't love him, but I can forgive him.

On unsteady feet, i stand and rush to him. I fling my arms around him.

"I forgive you...Now go, I hope it gets better for you wherever you go."

He gives a small sad smile, and walks out into the corridor, and out of our lives. But, as he exits, Jan enters. He means business. I have no time to process the loss of one of the most important people in my life.

"Are you all prepared for your mission?" This is directed straight at me, I'm the only one who looks like they were just beaten with a cactus branch.

As a group, we shout, "Yes sir!'' and collapse into fits of giggles.

Jan rolls his eyes, and what may have been a ghost of a smile plays at the corners of his mouth "You have 2 hours to ready yourselfs, and meet me in the armory. Off you go."

Ivan scoops me up in his arms fully, much to my chagrin, and carries me to my room. He places my feet on the ground, and pulls me in for a tight embrace. I rest my head on his chest, and the beating of his heart is all that fills the empty hallway.

"Ivan", I nervously say,"In my hallucination, before you, you know, died...You said you loved me."

His eyes flash, and he cocks his head. "And then..."

I blush. "I said I loved you too."  At this he pulls back, keeping his big hands placed gently around my waist.

"Well, I can't be outdone by a drug caused vision. I love you Cassi. Have for awhile." He brushed my hair aside, and raised my chin slightly.

At that moment time seemed to slow, and it took eons for his lips to finally meet mine. They were cool and soft, and rendered me breathless.

As he pulls away slowly, a warm sensation slides through my body. My eyes slide open and i see Ivan's lazy smile matches how I feel.

"I love you Ivan. But we'd better go...Jan won't wait a second for us." I say, sadly. Grasping his hand, i pull away. Our entertwined hands connect us, and slowly seperate as we turn our seperate ways.

"See you soon Cassi." Ivan softly intones, slipping down the corridor and out of sight. I lean up against the door for a moment, sighing happily.

I then open the door, and the twins both tumble out onto the floor.

"This is not what it looks like." Tarru scrambles for a suitable explaination.

"Yeah, we are above petty eavesdropping. This was reconaissance. Simple." Torro says with conviction, his persuavsive eyes glittering with supressed laughter.

"I'm too happy to kill you now. Shoo." At this, they shoot off down the hall, where they're going I have no clue.

I look down at my hands and see bruises circle my thin wrists. In the halucination I must have struggled alot. I quickly shed my clothes and hop in the shower, rinsing away the fear-smelling sweat that soaked my skin. 

What am I supposed to wear for a mission? Not my uniform, I guess, but nothing casual. Goodness I'm hopeless.

I turn off the warm spray of water and wrap myself in a towel to go in search of clothes. Throwing open the closet, I see a new clothing bag covering a new outfit. a not attached gives me a clue.

Cassie,

We picked this out for your mission, thought it'd save you some time. Admit it, you wouldn't have a clue what to wear.

Love,

Tarru & Torro

After unzipping the bag, I discover a pair of black pants that fit close to my legs, but don't restrict my movement, a light, strapless, metallic shirt that might be body armor of some kind, and a charcol colored shirt that ties behind my neck. Over all of this is a sturdy and glossy black jacket with hidden pockets inside the sleeves.

Mentally thanking the twins, I get dressed, having difficulty sliding the armor-type shirt on, as it seemed to seal to my skin. I look at my reflection in the miror, and I elect to sweep my hair back into a bun.

This makes my eyes stand out, and I realize how predatory I look. Eyes like emeralds, unyielding, sit above sharp cheekbones and a mouth curved in a smile that could hold malice or joy. Clothed in black, like a shadow, I look like a dark snake, able to strike at any second. I love this. It is as Ava once said; It feels amazing to be the bait and the trap at once.