Chapter 12

The steel door lurched open with no sound, even though the thing looked like it should have grated against the stone walls with a shriek.  We peered through them, and saw something completely different from what we were used to. Our City was built of steel and glass, a modern paradise. Terrasae looked like a fortress from one of the fairytales my mother told me when i was young.

     Sure, there were lights, transports and other things we had in our City, but The buildings were made of deep gray and black stone, fixed with glimmering silver. The lights weren't as bright as in Our City, muted, like the campfire i once saw. We strode down the gently sloping streets, in awe of the curves, the open spaces, so unlike our geometric perfect City. Lush green mosses grew on the walls of the tunnel we were currently in, and when we exited, we were face to face with a huge building. Opaque walls surrounded it, but we glimpsed in through a gate.

      Meda made a grand gesture, and announced, "This is the Acclimate Academy. You will remain here for 6 week periods, with a 1 week break inbetween sessions, where you may return home, or reamain here in Terrasae to explore." We are checked by the guards, who show special defferance to me.

    "Why am I being treated differently..." I ponder out loud. The guard to my left answers," You are the Priam, the first. You figured out the entry riddle. That gives you a ranking boost above you peers." I smile, loving Sage's expression of utter jealousy. "What now big brother!" I victory dance proudly, and all laugh, even the guards. We are escorted in, to a large room with a few people in it.Desks are spaced out, with clipboards on each one.

     Guard-to-the-Left says" Sign in, and wait for your instructors to come in. they will help with introductions."

     Both guard Left and guard Right exit stage(room) left. I face my fellow Acclimates, and realizze that beauty must be a perk from all Cities, cause were all gorgeous. 5 other people sit at desks, some alone, other in groups. We hear a thump,and see a wall visibly buckle.

     It implodes towards us, and after the dust clears, a well muscled man enters through the hole in the wall. He looks proud, strong, and like he would break a barrel over your head if you disobeyed him. he brushed off the dust, smooths back his blond hair, and speaks,erm, almost yells at us," My name is Jan, and I will be your instructor throughout the Academy."  A much smaller figure walks in behind him. " My name is Fela, and I will be your teacher, for the mental aspect of your stay here."

     Fela is the exact opposite of Jan, a slight girl with chestnut hair, amber eyes, and an anlmost fragile air to her. She is quiet, calm, but lookes reigned in, like at any time she could unleash and go bouncing off of the walls. Jan looks kinda strict...him and Leo may clash a bit.

       Jan hands us all uniforms, black button up shirts, tan pants, and sturdy boots, but Fela hands us a box full of delicous looking snacks, and a fiction novel in each one. Jan looks dissapointed, "Fela, that's not going to help them...." But Fela pouts," Delicious snacks and literature and art can help anything!" Jan just gives a small exasperated looking smile and wraps his arm around Fela.               

     " Whatever you say, but you know we have to push them." Fela purrs,"But not on the first day. let them settle in." Fela obiously won the argument, for now. Fela practically floats down the hall, us following, to a room with couches in a circle. She leaves the room, and comes back in with large platters of food that must be native to Terrasae, because only one person in the room, who looks suspicosually like Fela, but male, murmurs his joy.

       Jan looks even more exasperated,"You really made pasta, didn't you." He grumbles something about carbohydrates, but digs in to the "pasta" anyway. I take a bit and my eyes widen at the foregin flavors, so delicious. Leo's is gone already,as is Sage's. The other Acclimates seem to enjoy it too. After we are all sprawled out on the couches, half asleep, Fela begins introductions. " lets introduce ourselves, shall we? My name is Fela, I am from Terrasae, and I was Aclimated last year. I pass the turn to my cousin, Orion."

     The male Fela look alike grimaces, " My name is obiously Orion, i am obiously from Terrasae, and I was Acclimated at the same time we all were, so lets just eliminate that part of out intros." His voice is deep and melodic as a the ocean hitting the shore. I might have to get to know him better, he fascinates me.

 He points across the circle, at Leo." You can go next, even though i have no idea who the hell you are."  Leo gives his intro, indicating me as his Pair, and gestures to Sage, who in turn says, "Hi, I'm awesome, and My name is Sage."

      Jan winces, must not like the cocky type. Sage points to Ava, the traitor. Ava smiles like the lunatic she is." Salutations, I be Ava. I am Paired to Sage here, who is Cassi's twin." She waves at me. I groan, crazy as batshit.....

     " Hey everyone. I am Cassiopeia, but please call me Cass." I gesture at a quiet looking girl across the room,"You're next, if you please." She glares at me, with eyes as balck as midnight, contrasted to her white hair. She speaks in a lilting Siberian accent common to the northern most City, of Baia.        " My name is Cilla, i am the youngest Acclimate so far, I haven't graduated yet, but i will next year. My older brother is here also." She points at a male version of herself.  He is freakin HUGE, like at least 7 feet tall.He wears a thick  cream colored,scarf, even with regular clothes.  

     His voice is deep and soft, as melodic as Orion's, but with the accent."My name is Ivan,and you all will join me in freindship, yes?" We all kindof stare at him for a moment, freaked out. He smiles in a way that makes him seem innocent, but you get weird vibes from him, like hes been through hell and back. I'll get to understand him too.

    Fela looks to the boys on the last couch,and clapps her hands " And you two may go next!'" I then notice that the boys look alike, like REALLY alike. One stands up, and takes a deep bow. "My name is Tarru, and this is my better, or maybe worse, half Torro. If you are blind,  I will then inform you that we  are identical twins".  With their flame red hair and gunmetal eyes, they really are a sexy pair.

     They look exotic, with angular faces and lean builds. They really are identical, and when the sitting one sees me looking, he grins. "See something you like honey? I'd be glad to show off a bit more if you like." He speaks in a soft, purring voice, it would drive most women crazy, but I remind myself l'm already Paired. But Pairings can be changed......NO NO NO!! Stupid Stupid thought!.

     Fela smiles at nothing, almost as bad as Ava, and asks Jan to do his introduction. Jan starts to complain, but Fela looks like she might start to uncontrollably weep, so he mutters,"I'm Jan, I am from the  City of Stracta, I am Bound to Fela, and was Acclimated 3 years ago. I will not tolerate slacking off, or smart talk! Treat me and Fela as if we are the answers to all your questions, and keep your quarters neat and tidy! We will now be assigning rooms randomly. Ava, Cass, Tarru and Torro, to room 1. Ivan, Cilla,and Sage to room 2. Orion and Leo to room 3. Now go! Meda will have a room in the instructors hall." He grabs Fela around the waist, causing her to giggle uncontrollably, and rushes of down the hall.

      Meda looka sickened," If i have to room anywhere near those two, l'm done.''

     Tarru and Torro found our room, and are already situated on the bunk bed. That leaves Ava and I to a single bed, and a full bed. We decide this like civilized people, via rock paper scissors. Ava wins the full bed, damn.

      Our room is about the size of the couch room, but it has a Port, and 4 chaise longes around it, with two ajoining bathrooms. The twins claim one, saying they need a "Feminine free potty zone". Ava and I set up our street clothes in a dresser, and our makeup in our bathroom. We chatt with the twins for a few, occaisonally confusing them, but learning they come from  a western City,Tortuga,deep in the forests. They claim train lag, and go off to their bunks. Ava crashes on the chaise she was on, so I steal her full bed for tonight. I drift off, expecting a peaceful 8-10 hours of well needed sleep. Hot damn was I wrong.