Chapter 2

As we arrived in the City, we all gasped in awe. Most of us had never been inside the Walls, for only those with inner City jobs, sanctioned Summonings, or serious medical need could enter.  The entire city rested in the ocean, help up by special magnets. Nobody knows why this is, when there is plenty of land where the suburbs are.

       The City is a glimmering sprawling utiopia of silver, black and white buildings, intertwined with the deep gray color of the streets. Towards the towering red walls, living quarters, apartements, and small houses dot the artificial grass, kept seperate from the glory of the inner City, to provide fo the familly aspect of life. Skytrain tracks criss cross the entire City, eliminating the past need for the ancient gas-guzzling monsters called cars. 

          The train skims smoothly to a stop in front of the Selection headquarters, and we are all ushered into a massive confrence room with a dias at the head where the Council will soon appear to assign our Duties. The others back in the 'Burbs are now being assigned lesser jobs like Farmhand, Secretary, Tutor, Maintennence, Port-screen Moniter, and other boring manual labor or desk type jobs.

        We all begin to whisper among eath other, wondering what fantastic job we will soon be assigned.

      "I want Medic" i hear my good friend Phi say, while her Pair, Ren brags.

    Ren was just a typical adolescent male, save for his sharp wit he was dull and reckless." I was hoping for Defenseman. Its prestigious, and dangerous!!"

      Phi slaps his arm and says," Well try not to get yourself killed, we were Paired and I don't plan on losing you for a while." And they then procede to share a look of contentment and caring, followed by an embrace.

     Pairing is one of the things that makes Society so efficent. If you know who you will marry from a younger age, then the drama of teen years can be practically eliminated. My Pair, Leo, was there with me. As i wondered where he was at, I feel his arms twine around my waist.

     "Gotcha, Cass" He growls in my ear, making me laugh,"Leo,what do you hope to be assigned?" He pouts and says" I had hoped to be assigned to the same place as you but now you had to go and get that 'extra special' job, I guess thats improbable..."

     He bends to kiss my forehead and whispers" But don't forget, Pairs move in together after 6 months of efficent work..."

     He grinns evilly causing Sage to shoot him a glare. "Hey now, that is my sister your talking about. I might just start being a little more protective of her now. We wouldnt want any shenanagins going on behind my back"

          He playfull yanks me out of Leos arms and carts me off to visit his Pair, Elle. As they have their cutomary makeout greeting, I sigh and try to walk away, back to Leo. "Where you going Little sis? Anywhere I should chaperone you to?"  

      " For the love of the Society, Sage, you are 3 minutes older than me, why must you use that against me?!" I huff.

      Elle just has to put forth her opinion, " Maybe if you wern't such a cute little girl then you wouldn't need chaperoned." HaHa... Did I mention Elle looks about 25? And she hates me?

        Of course my brother would get Paired with a supermodel bitch who happens to think she can do anything(or anybody) she pleases. And Sage dosent see any of it, except her 'loving caring Big Sister act' Oh yeah, she is very careful to mask any insults she throws around with Sage.

      As I go to find a seat near Leo, the portscreen flickers to life with the Society's seal, and a voice booms through the room. "Please find your seats. The Selection will commence shortly!"