Chapter 1

Life wasnt always this bad, before The Society. Ok, History lesson time.

          I lived a normal life in Westchester, one of the seven Cities. Our City is semi-rural, but the City itself is a typical metropolitan paradise, if you live inside the Inner City walls, that is.

             My family, consisting of my mother, Aria, my father,Scorpius, my brother,Sagittarius,  or Sage, and I. We lived a fairily normal life, better than most because of our fathers job in the City, which cause him to almost never be home. My mother was a secretary in a small Society office right outside the walls.Sage and I went to Level 3 school, what used to be called High School before The Fall. We learn about Our Society, how it came to be, how it is, and what its, and our, future is to be.

       Each year, the top 100 students of Level 3 are taken into the City to be given jobs for the Council, our government. My brother and I are currently going to be accepted in to the Council in a few weeks, because my brother and I are Valets. Valets are the best of the best, the top 10 of the top 100.  We get extra Rec privliges, Credit bonuses, and we get to wear red for the color of our Selection Day uniforms. Every body else gets to where gray, to show their unity.

                     Now don't to thinking that I support the Society, I am just giving you a look into the past, before I was Acclimated. You'll understand that one in a little while.

       So, back on track, the day of The Selection comes about, and Sage and I look our best. Our copper colored hair gleams bright, our bright emerald eyes shined with excitement, our teeth white as snow. All of this due to a Presentive Alteration,a makeover, purchased with our last credit bonus. Our mother waits in the stands, but an empty chair sits next to her. Our father must have been called back to work. None of us know what out father does, and we have been raised not to care.

            The Councilmen of Edcation stride importantly up to the podium, and calls 99 names,Sage's among them. Finally he announces" The top scores of this Third school are almost unheard of. Such dedication to Society, such intelligence, such adaptibility has never been see before. But, one Citizen has shown such potential, she has beaten all others to become The Primary Valet, Ms. Cassiopia Thames!!!!! She and her brother, Sagittarius Thames, will be given the most prestigious jobs of all in The Society, effective immediatly."

       The crowd roars, but everybody among us looks at us with envy, and confusion. What job is he talking about? It could be any thing...... All 100 of us are herded into a Skytrain, no chance to say goodbye, and we were off to the City.

             I remember being so excited, but with an undertone of anxiety. What was this job I had recieved? Sage grasped my hand, saying, "Be careful sis, we don't know what's waiting for us in there.I have a bad feeling about this, like something just isnt right...."

      God I wish I has listened to him.............