Chapter 6

Waking up after Stage 2 was a bizzare experiance.... Everything looked different now, the color spectrum broadened, the details of the walls, seemingly plain before was intricate. I could hear electricity humming through the wires in the walls, and the soft sound of voices in a room down the hall.

     Sage sat up and stared at me, so being a smart aleck, i said " What brother, see something different?"

     He snorted and said "Come on, you have to be seeing this too, all is clearer now, crystalline." I nod and we take tenative steps around the room.

      Everything feels like dancing now, the floorplane is smooth and fluid like water. I hear footsteps in the hall, and grab my scalpel from my table. Sage's eyes widened and he shakes him head, warning my not to try it. But do i listen?

     The panel slides open and Meda glides in. I lunge forward, and slice the blade across her cheek, but it dosen't faze her. She glares at me as black blood spills down her neck. "Not funny, Cassi. But even though you attack me, I still win."

     As she speaks, her wound seals shut, as i gape in horror. She laughs at my confusion. " Part of the Acclimation is super duper healing. If you keep rebelling Cass, we may have to terminate you, and today may change your mindset of us. We aren't complete monsters you know. We have fairness and compassion. You play ball with us, and we play ball with you."

      She takes out a little jar full of blue pills. She pours 2 out on the table and gestures to them.     

" Take these and the Acclimatin will begin to finalize. You will begin Training, and life will go on. Refuse, and die. Rewards are in stake if you take them quickly!"

     Sage picks his up, and swallows it. I decide to watch him before i take mine. He gasps, and crumples to his knees. But, he is not in pain. He just looks shocked, and a bit freaked. His skin starts to ripple, and his muscles begin  to swell. I blink my eyes, and when they open, a new person sits in front of me.

     He is well muscled, tall, and amazingly handsome. He looks like Sage, but an older, more attractive Sage. He stands up and his muscles flex under his skin. "Whatever the hell just happened, I like it!" he braggs, and i roll my eyes. He always was a skinny thing...

        Meda looks at me expectantly. "well?" she purrs, "Now you know there is nothing to be afraid of, so take the damn pill." I swallow the pill, and i feel like my body is being slowly warmed. I feel tingly, and my legs give out. My hands shake, my heart pounds, and i feel muscles building on my shoulders, arms and stomach.

     Sage helps me up and whistles. " Whoa sis, i knew you had potential, but this is just.....wow." I smack him in the head, and watch the playful glint in his newly silver eyes."You know i am way better looking than you, bro" I purr as i strike a pose.

      Even Meda laughs at that one. " Come on kids, 2 more litle details to sort out, then we'll finish up here"

     Well whatdaya know, were actually allowed to walk this time, and as we pass a metal panel, i have to stop and stare at my reflection. I really am beautiful...... My copper hair is as luminous as Sage's, but longer, reaching to my waist. My eves shine like moonlight, with emerald green flecks around my pupil. My body is stil thin, but im not short anymore!!

       I come up to Sage's shoulder, and he must be at least 6 ft 5 now. My twiggy body has new curves, and now not even Elle could hold a candle to me. Meda waits patiently for me by a door, and smiles.

     "Its wonderful isnt it, being beautiful, yet powerful. When you go out on missions it helps to, to be the bait and the deathtrap. Now come, there is a tad more to finalize." Hmmmm, i am starting to think Meda really does understand.....

       I walk into a room, with nothing in it except for a stool, and a sheet of a bronze-hued paper-thin  metal. A man enters, and he smiles. "Sit, for the Branding."

      Meda kneels beside me and explains,      

      " The Branding is a mental and physicall mark. A scar will be left on your back, and on your mind." she turns around and bares her back, and i gasp. A large burn in the shape of a needle and thread covers her back.

     "Every brand is different, and it sybolizes something from your life. Mine is thread, because i chose to be the experimental Acclimate, so I wove the future. The Branding will hurt, but the pain fades quickly. The mental aspect will induce a simulation, where whatever you choose there will impact your  mental Acclimation. So choose wisely. But first, lets give you your Brand!"

     I feel the metal sheet fit to the curves of my back, fom shoulder to lowerback. It begins to heat slowly, and Meda gasps my hand,"Squeeze my hand when it starts to hurt, Cass,"

      Then a ripping, burning sensation begins to spread. I start to scream, but choke it back, trying to be brave, prove i am strong. My new muscles quiver, and a sweat breaks out over my body. Then in only a few moments, it is over. Meda puts a cool cloth on my back, and says " It takes a few minutes to surface. Your deep muscle tissue was burnt, and i spreads out to the skin. Just wait a few minutes."

    We make small talk, along with the man , who I find out is Meda's Pair, named Yarrow. They tell me a ridiculous tale about how they met, something along the lines of a broken elevator and a bottle of gin. It is unusual for late Pairings to occur, but for Meda they made an exception.

    "Let's see your Brand!" she suggests. We lift off the cloth and Meda gasps, "It's beautiful!"and Yarrow humms approvingly. They hold up a mirrior in front and in back of me and I intake breath. It IS beautiful.