33. Mistakes And Uh Ohs

Tristan and I walked down the stairs to the dining room quietly, Tristan humming a song to himself and me, thinking over the things he must have seen with Christopher and me.

What had he thought of me? Did he think I was one of Christopher's women? I shivered at the thought. Was that what he thought of me now? No, Christopher made it clear that we were courting. Tristan trusted his friend's words, didn't he?

"Ye alright there? Ye look like ye got something on ye mind, " Tristan said, glancing at me. He rose a brow. "Maybe something I can help with, perhaps?"

I nibbled on the thought, deciding it was worth a shot. "Yeah, I just was wondering something."

"Shoot."

Now or never, right? "How long have you known me, Tristan?"

He rose a brow. "I don't understand."

"I know about what Lord Taylor had you do for him, and maybe still do? You followed Christopher, " I said and watched as his eyes widened in surprise. "And I was wondering how long you followed me, knew about me."

Tristan was speechless for a moment, trying to comprehend what I told him. Then he brushed his hair from his face.

"I first saw ye when ye docked for that ball ye and Christopher attended. I thought Chrissy gone mad. He never brought a woman on board before."

I smiled, feeling better. "So, Topher told me."

Tristan broke out into a smile. "Did he tell ye it was bad luck to have a woman on a ship?"

"That he did."

Tristan gave a low chuckle. "I thought ye...well, never mind. That is not of importance now. Ye are courting dear Chrissy it means-"

"You thought I was a prostitute, didn't you?" I said, raising a brow.

He smiled awkwardly. "Well, not exactly. Ye was wearing men's clothing, so it was quite confusing, but that doesn't mean nothing now, right?"

"I guess not, " I said. "But how long have you been following Christopher?"

Tristan scratched the back of his head, deep into thought. "Hmm, maybe a year after he left? It could be less. Lord Taylor was on the hunt for Chrissy after he split."

I liked hearing how much Christopher's father cared for him. I just wished Christopher knew it.

Tristan put his hands in his trouser pockets and sighed. "Course, he never did say goodbye. I was glad to have taken the job the Lord offered me. Spying on Chrissy wasn't all bad. 'E did some exciting things, things we always talked about doing."

I laughed. "It would seem like you two are close."

Tristan smiled. "Of course. He's my best friend."

***

Dinner was the same as it was every night - quiet and awkward, and I didn't talk until Ailsa, Christopher, and I was in the drawing-room.

"I found Lucky, " I said casually, taking a sip of my tea. Christopher, who was standing before the fire, glanced in my direction.

"You found...Lucky?" He said, surprised. He cracked a smile. "Where was he?"

I smiled back. "The back of your wardrobe behind your clothes. I hope you don't mind, but I was walking around your room."

"Of course, I don't mind; I just never thought you would find my horse."

I glanced at Ailsa, who was watching us silently. One of her hands was gripping a book tightly while the other was holding her teacup to her mouth.