26. All About Christopher

The next day, Christopher showed Anne his world. He started with his old bedroom (which was still intact surprisingly) and then the kitchen, explaining how he used to steal a few bakery items here and there when nobody was watching.

The whole time, Anne listened and smiled engagingly. All while, Ailsa rose a cheeky smirk at Christopher, trying to remind him of the fun times they had together.

It was pressuring, but somehow Christopher managed to get through the little tour of inside his winter home without any side remarks about past times.

He tried to keep it up for Anne. She didn't need to know anything about the other things he did around his home, especially with Ailsa being present.

He couldn't stand to think of Ailsa smiling with pride about the things the two did together.

After a few rooms here and there, Christopher took the tour outside. First to the garden and walking grounds where Anne commented on the detailed work put in. Ailsa just stayed silent.

Then, he led them out to the stables where there they were greeted with two furry beasts that lept upon Christopher at first sight.

"Why hello again!" Christopher exclaimed, getting down on the floor. He ran his fingers through the rough fur of his hunting dogs, remembering the time they were puppies. They were so big now.

"Are these Angus and Max?" Anne asked from behind. Christopher turned around and watched as she thinned her lips. She wasn't one for animals.

He chuckled. "That they are, but no need to be frightened. These two aren't ravenous wolves."

"No, but they are as big as wolves, " Ailsa commented, folding her arms over her chest. "They can sure chase down a rabbit that's for sure."

Christopher smiled at the progress made from his two furry beasts. Before, they could only chase down a ball; now, they were leaping on rabbits.

A lot had changed since he left, Christopher noticed. Has he been gone that long?

"Well, want to say hello?" He asked, turning back to Anne. "They won't bite."

Anne thinned her lips. "Are you sure?"

"Are you chicken?"

Christopher rose a brow, making Anne narrow her eyes at him. She marched forward and fell to the ground, not caring if her dress got dirty or not.

She stretched her hand out to Angus, hesitant in the case he would bite. Christopher grabbed her wrist and placed it on top of the dog's head.

"Good dog, " she said with a small smile, stroking his head. The dog relaxed under her touch, sitting down so he could enjoy the sensation.

Christopher smiled, pleased with himself at what he had done.

Ailsa scoffed. "Quite dirty down there, eh? I don't want to get my dress dirty."

"It'll ger washed, " Christopher said. "Does it matter if it gets dirty?"

"Oh, how you tease! You know I hate getting my things dirty."

Christopher stayed quiet, not wanting to encourage any unwanted behavior.

The dogs laid down, rolling onto their backs for their stomachs to get rubbed.

Anne laughed at the action and willingly gave the dogs what they wanted.

Suddenly, a voice came from across the stable. "So Max and Angus still know who ye are, eh? Could've sworn they would forget you, " Tristan said, coming out of a horse's stall.