61. The Nina, The Pinta, And The Mayflower

Typed this on my computer, but didn't stick. Dedicated to:

Foreveryoung2024

***

It had been what felt like hours since we'd been down there. I could feel myself rotting away, being forgotten. The only plus side, I guess, was that it was much cooler down there than it was outside. That, and it was entertaining watching Christopher trying to argue over history with the girl in my cell.

"Columbus did not have a ship called the Mayflower. You're confused with the pilgrims coming to America. I would know because the owner who owned one-fourth of the ship was also named Christopher. Christopher Jones," argued Christopher, rubbing his temples.

"No! It was the Nina, the Pinta, and the Mayflower!"

Christopher groaned. "No, it was not. It was the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria. All Spanish names. Mayflower is an English word. It was named after the hawthorn flower, an English flower grown in England. I grew up with the bloody flowers!"

"Did not! Ye don't know anything!'"

"I did not spend eight years of my life with the same bloody tutor to know nothing! I am right, and that is that. Say what you want, girl, but I am right."

The girl threw another rock (the fifth one since were down there) at Christopher, missing him like all the other times. "You are not! You horrible man! I bet this woman is suffering because of you! No wonder she is quiet; she can't even get a word in because of ye!"

Oh, why was I brought into this?

I shrunk into myself and glanced at Christopher, who was already looking at me. He looked back at the girl. "Miss Rachels is my employee; her paycheck depends on what I want. As her captain, she follows my rules and-"

"And you're the boss, yeah, I get it. What are ye anyway? Some kind of sailor?"

"A pirate, actually-"

"Oh! No wonder you're in here. Who's the thief now?"

Christopher crossed his arms. "I'm here on important business for your information."

"Like what?"

I smiled, seeing my chance. "His mother, actually. He came to see his mother." I felt the fiery eyes of my captain on me, but I ignored him and stood up, making my way to the bars. "He hasn't seen her in years."

Although I knew that this would come back at me later, I thought it would be worth it, especially when it involved angering your cocky boss.

"Ooh, Mommy troubles, huh? How's that working out for ye?" The girl encouraged, smiling the same arrogant smile Christopher had once had.

I looked back at my dear sweet boss, his face more stone-like than a stone, and did the one unbearable act that could top it all off.

I smirked. It was small, but it was there. The corner of my lips raised ever so slightly. The tiniest bit of action left an impact much more significant.

How entertaining.

"I do not have 'mommy troubles,' and I don't have troubles." He looked me square in the eyes and crossed his arms. "None whatsoever."

My smirk slumped back into a thin line.

"Except yer in here, genius," said the girl. "That's trouble in itself."

"As it is, but it's not going to be that long. An innocent man gets more than a chance to prove himself. It is on how he presents his truth that will allow his release."