22. A Kiss From A Pirate's Ex

Christopher

Once Anne and Tristan were out of sight, Christopher watched as Ailsa's face lit up.

"So you're trying to make me jealous, huh? Well, it worked! You don't need to show everyone how wanted you are, you know. Every maiden in the land is already head over heels for you."

Christopher rubbed the back of his neck.

"Ailsa, it's true. Anne and I are courting, " he said, expecting Ailsa to scream at him, slap him, and secretly hoping she'll change her mind and leave, but she only smiled and giggled.

"You were always such a trickster!"

Damn, this girl! Of all girls, Christopher just had to have the best, hadn't he? And the best just had to be clingy.

Christopher sighed. "You said ye needed help with something, didn't you?"

Ailsa brushed the thought away. "No, I have servants for that. I just want to have you to myself. Four years is a long time, Christopher. I denied every man that wanted me."

Good for you.

"I see."

Christopher didn't feel guilty when he left Ailsa because he thought she would find someone else, someone new and exciting. He expected her to be married by the time he came back, but that wasn't the case when she was there throwing herself at him.

"Now come inside, " Ailsa purred. "Let's sit and talk."

With Ailsa's back turned to open the door, Christopher rolled his eyes and decided that he would just sit and listen to the endless gossip that Ailsa always seemed to have.

It was the least he could do.

But once Christopher closed the door behind him, Ailsa leaped on him, wrapping her arms around his neck and pressed her lips to his.

It all happened so fast. Christopher just froze, his body still, his lips not moving. It was all so surprising.

But once Christopher got a grip on what was going on, he pushed Ailsa away.

"Ailsa!"

"Was that too soon? I should have waited, shouldn't I've? Oh, I do apologize, dear. I know I just got here, I just couldn't help myself!" Ailsa pleaded, looking Christopher up and down.

"It's just that you look so...irrisitable."

How could she say such things when Christopher was away for four years? Didn't she expect him to move on?

"Ailsa, I'm am deeply sorry, but I'm afraid this can't work. No more, " Christopher said, furrowing his brows.

Ailsa rolled her eyes. "Must you be so dramatic? Fine. So, you want to play hard to get? I can play. But you don't need that- oh whoever that is to play. You're the most desired man around, no need to seem so with a girl."

Christopher crossed his arms. "I refuse to play in this little charade you've invented. Anne is the woman I am courting, and she thinks you are an old friend of mine from the past, so you either play that role or leave."

Ailsa looked taken back by this. She opened her mouth to say something but closed it in less than a moment.

Seeing as she wasn't going to say anything, Christopher turned around and opened the door, but halted when Ailsa touched his arm.

"Wait, " she said. "I know you love me, Christopher. That girl is just someone you need to keep yourself from being lonely, I understand. But you will see, my love, that she's not the one you need. And you and I both know that I'm the only one who can understand you."