57. The Piggy Who Went Back To The Market

I can not promise you that I slept well that night. I tossed, and I turned, my head spinning in thoughts and with times that were. I was completely restless and boar feelings of anxiety that twisted in my stomach. At last, when I slept, I dreamt of worse things. Of Christopher and I, of my parents, of my seemingly empty future. By morning, I woke with sweat staining my nightgown, and I got up to clean myself off. I climbed back in bed cradling myself. I stared at the blank walls with blank thoughts.

What now? What now? Did I even know what to do now?

I tucked a lock of hair behind my ear and held myself closer under the covers. Was what I was doing here right? Should I go back home? I cringed at the thought. Home. It was such a foreign word now. I hardly even knew the meaning anymore. Is it a place I was born? Is it where I belong? Am I supposed to be there for the rest of my life?

I didn't know and it scared me a little not knowing, and it scared me even more thinking of what my parents might think of these thoughts. I had been like a stranger to them all my life. Nothing more than something part of the background in their lives, nothing but a burden. I was not what they wanted, and it made me wonder. If I did go back if I became the kind of daughter they wanted, would they forgive me? Would it all be different?

Maybe my mother would even smile.

"Morning," Cora said, coming into the room. Immediately, I sat up and put on my best smile.

"Hey," I said, "morning." Cora went straight to the wardrobe and opened it, grabbing a pair of trousers and tunic, and threw it on the bed. Since I told Cora that my job required me to move around and always be ready to be asked of, there had always been trousers and a tunic in the wardrobe ready for me. It was something that I was thankful for having, and thankful no-one disapproved of it.

"Still don't want me to dress you?" Cora said going to the dresser and throwing some undergarments at me. She then proceeded to place her hands on her hips in a sarcastic manner, with an even more sarcastic look cast onto her face. No more smile, no more humor, not anymore.

I gave a little laugh. "Nope. I told yeah, I've got it." Her expression didn't change. She shrugged.

"Go change. Your captain is waiting for you."

"He's what?"

"Outside the door. You might want to change unless you want your ex-fiance to see you in your nightgown."

I sprang from my bed and rushed to the bathroom, my clothes in hand. I shut the door and began to get undressed, throwing my nightgown in a corner as I struggled with the rest of my attire, questioning what Christopher wanted from me. He hadn't ordered me to do anything since we came here! What could he want now?

Changed and adjusting my shirt, I threw open the door. "Cora, did he say what he wanted?"

"He wants you to come to town with him." I paused. That wasn't Cora's voice. I slowly looked up and immediately thinned my lips.

"Oh, um...good morning, sir," I said sheepishly. Christopher sighed tiredly, and immediately, I gave him a look over. Bags hung under his eyes and his hair looked greasy. It would seem I wasn't the only one who had no sleep last night.

"I'm afraid we don't have time for breakfast. We have much to do. Now come, we don't have time to waste," he said and walked out of the room. I turned to Cora who was rolling her eyes watching him go. She met my eyes and shrugged her shoulders.

"Have fun."

***

I really hate riding on a horse. I hate the feeling, I hate that I don't know what the animal could do if I wasn't paying attention, but most of all, I hated not knowing how to ride. What was worse was that Christopher decided that today was the perfect time to start practicing.