53. Relaxation Is Not An Option

I didn't know how much of this I could take.

"Just this way," Diane said, jumping off her horse and leading us off the trail (God knows why) and through the thickness of trees.

Instantly, I felt the sensation of being eaten alive, which I most definitely did not like to feel.

The group followed right behind Diane, pushing away leaves and branches, tall bushes, and even taller grass. It annoyed me after bush three how much of this we had to go through, and for what?

She wasn't going to tell us until we were there.

I tried to stay positive as any good little traveler should. There could be a pot of gold at the end of this rainbow. The journey could be in itself enjoyable. I got to see more of a foreign land. My only wish was that it didn't involve me having to pee and afraid that I'll get lost.

I stayed behind Captain, hoping that where he stepped was safe, and the fact that he made a clearing for me would mean a smooth path, but that ended in me trying to keep up and getting hit by branches he pushed aside.

Alright, so I hated this, and maybe hated nature just a little, itty bitty bit, but I just had to keep my wits about me. I didn't dream of adventures like this for no reason.

Fifteen minutes later, we made it to a clearing, a dirt road that lodged itself between where we were to another side of a thicket of trees.

Diane turned her head, looking at both ways of the dirt path, and stood for a moment as if deciding something.

"Bloody hell, which way was it," I caught her mumbling to herself.

Captain watched her with a bit of annoyance, his teeth clenched, clearly not happy about his mother's forgetfulness.

"Right," Jack said and turned right, taking the lead. Diane followed, having trust in Jack's 'know it all' decision.

"So, where are we going?" Tristan asked, wiping his forehead with the back of his hand. Jack pulled a handkerchief from his chest pocket and handed it to him.

"You'll see. This is part of the island's rich history."

Tristan sighed, handing the handkerchief back to Jack. "Wonderful," he said sarcastically.

Diane slowed and walked on the other side of Captain. She smiled. "You'll like this."

"And why is that?"

Diane kept her smile. "Because it involves you in almost every way."

That made Captain more curious. "How could this possibly involve me in the history of this island?"

About five minutes later, a black spot appeared on the road in front of us, and as we got closer, it became clear what we were here for:

A dump that was once a house.

It was run down horribly. What was once held by wood planks, was now just rotted and tattered bark with moss and other plants covering the surface of it. It looked as if the jungle had consumed the house itself, which if you could guess, was not a very uplifting and excitable thing to be looking at.

"I don't understand. This is what we came here for? A run-down shack?" Tristan asked, standing before the house. "I'm no expert, but I don't think that's safe to be goin' in."

Jack smirked. "That's why we must be very careful, my friend," he said, going through the fallen entrance of the house, ducking under a board over his head. Diane gave a little smile and followed in afterward.

Great, now there's a chance I could get killed by a fallen building.

"Well, now or never," Tristan shrugged, going in. I watched with complete annoyance. I did not want to die. I did not want to go into a wet, icky building with insects crawling around, but I also wanted to see what the fuss was about, so, holding my breath and counting to ten, I went next.