11. Storytime

It all happened so fast. One second all was still, and the next, everything was moving at once; even the ground under me moved as the crew advanced toward the soldiers, weapons in hand.

And I was pushed back by Christopher, landing on my backside while Christopher stepped in front of me, drawing his sword.

Believe it or not, that was the man that let me shoot a gun.

Swords clashed together furiously, men yelled at each other, and all hell broke loose as I was on the ground.

I stood up from where I was and moved backward, taking a better look at the situation.

No man was alone; each had an enemy they were fighting, all except Captain Burden, who was still recovering from his awkward injury.

Instead, he surveyed the small battleground that we created and watched as his fighters were following their training.

I couldn't say the same for our side for our men were everywhere—one punch here and another there, all without order.

Some used whatever blades they carried, but I noticed that none used their guns. Not on Burden's side, not ours. I guess we all didn't want to end up dead.

Good for us all.

Christopher was a mad man as he fought, dominating his opponent using one of his arms while the other tucked firmly behind his back.

Fish fought just as much, using his sword to attack the opponent's blind spot. He fought with strategy, I noticed. Instead of going all over the place, like the other men, even Christopher, at times, Fish watched his opponents and attacked when he needed to.

I had never thought of him to do that.

Seeing it all, I kind of wanted to join them. What would Christopher say? I was supposed to hide in his quarters and stay there till it was all over.

There was a choice.

I could hide and stay safe or fight and possibly get hurt and captured, but also prove my strength. The choice was easy.

Using the gun that was still in my hand, I shot one of Burden's foot, causing everyone to stop and turn to look at him and then at me.

Smirking at everyone's attention, I pulled back the safety again, hearing the click, and surveyed the crowd, aiming at anyone and everyone.

"Who's next?" I said. "Get lost, or I'll shoot."

The men's faces went blank, and they looked at Burden, who was silently crying in the corner.

I aimed the pistol back at Burden. "Do I have to reshoot him? Get lost, I said!"

But no one went anywhere. Was I talking to myself?

"You heard her, " Christopher said and pulled out another pistol from his belt, one I didn't even see and pointed it at his opponent.

In that second of saying that, our crew pulled out their pistols and did the same.

"Sir, uh permission to perhaps...retreat?" A young soldier, no more than sixteen, asked Burden.

Burden wiped away his tears and limped to a close soldier, grabbing onto him.

"Permission granted. Let us go, "
Burden said and dragged the soldier off in the direction of the ship.

His crew followed, tucking away their weapons and retreating to their ship, followed by a few shouts and curses from our men.

I smiled at my accomplishment and lowered my gun.

On the other hand, Christopher ran up the stairs to the wheel and shouted, " Men, get ready to sail!"