Fear The Reaper

Today was the day where everything changed.

From now on, it was a whole new ball game... but no one realized it yet.

No one knew what was coming. No one knew how much the actions of this day would change the course of everything.

Lexy was in the midst of handing out fliers for a fundraiser at La Bonne Nuit. The night before, Archie's boxing opponent died in the ring during the fight. Apparently his family weren't well off and got most of their money from Randy's boxing prizes. In order to ease his conscience, Archie decided to raise as much money as possible for the Ronsons.

"Very clever." Cheryl said from behind Lexy. "Hand out fliers when everyone's in line for the meningitis vaccinations, that way no one can pretend they're in a rush."

"Hey Cheryl. Why aren't you in line?" Lexy asked.

"It's against the farm's rules to put foreign substances in one's body. So here I am!"

Lexy resisted the urge to roll her eyes. How could Cheryl Blossom, the most independent, remiss girl in Riverdale, be conned into joining the local cult? And the worst part? She somehow convinced Toni to join her. Lexy had lost two of her closest friends to the weird, happy, smiley people who practically skip around town.

Cheryl snatched a flier from Lexy's hands.

"A fundraiser? How extravagant is the dress code?" She asked enthusiastically.

Lexy didn't want the farm showing up and ruining the fundraiser by making everyone feel uncomfortable, but it was for a good cause. And they needed all the money they could get. Hopefully Cheryl was feeling particularly generous today.

***

"You told Sweetpea about Sydney?" Reggie asked in shock, taking another slurp from his milkshake.

"Yes, weren't you listening to my story at all?" Lexy scolded him.

"I was, I'm just surprised."

For as long as Reggie could remember, Lexy had never once spoke about what happened the day Sydney died. Not what happened, not what she saw, not what she felt. In fact, this was probably the first time in nine years he had heard Sydney's name come out of her mouth.

"That's a big step. So I'm guessing you two are-"

"No, we're not. Definitely not. I guess he thought I was sending him signals or something, so I shut him down, but when he was leaving I got the impression that he'll probably never speak to me again... in my life."

"In your life?"

"In my life."

He thought for a moment. "Why didn't you stop him before he left?"

"Because," she sighed, "me and him, we can't be together right now. And besides... he wouldn't have turned around."

Truth be told, she missed Sweetpea. She knew they couldn't be together, but that didn't stop her from missing the feeling of knowing that he was always right next to her. And that was only in the space of one day. But they were just so used to each other that being apart was this... strange feeling.

Just then, the man himself walked through the door of Pop's, the bell ringing as he did so. Had he come to talk to her? Maybe apologize for being so hostile the night before?

All of her questions were quickly answered when a short blonde girl followed him inside, the two of them smiling together.

He definitely wasn't here for Lexy.