Requiem For A Welterweight

Lexy hadn't gotten any quest cards for days. Days! She had never felt so useless in her life. No control, whatsoever. And after she had just been on such a high for weeks.

She lay upside down on her bed, staring at the wall. What else was she gonna do now that she didn't have Gryphons and Gargoyles? What if she scared off the guy who had been giving her the quest cards and letters when she begged him for fizzle rocks? Was this all her fault?

The doorbell rang and for the first time in hours, Lexy channeled enough energy to sit up straight.

If it wasn't important they would just go away.

Then the doorbell rang for the second time. So it was important. The first G&G quest in days was important. She jumped off her bed and ran down the stairs. The next quest was probably going to be amazing, that's why it took so long.

When she opened the door however, her mood immediately deflated when she saw Reggie standing there.

"Ugh what?" She asked, not hiding her disappointment at all.

"Nice." Reggie rolled his eyes. "I'm here to give you something."

"Another attempted lecture? Because if that's it, you failed last time and you'll fail again this time."

Lexy turned around and went to lie down on the couch, suddenly not having any energy anymore. Reggie shrugged and followed her inside.

"Nope. This." He flipped her lucky coin onto her stomach.

Lexy glanced at the coin and then at him. "You mind telling me how you have this?"

"Sweetpea gave it to me to give to you. After you told him about everything you've done these past few weeks he wasn't really interested in giving it to you himself."

"Awww I'm so hurt."

There was not a hint of sincerity in her voice. She continued to lie on the couch, uninterested in any sort of conversation with Reggie. When she began to shut her eyes, he took it as a cue to leave.

"Nice talking to you, Little A."

He patted her on the leg and left her alone in the house. Alone to do nothing but sit around with her thoughts.

And there was one thought that stuck in her mind. One sentence that Reggie had said stood out over all the others.

"Sweetpea..." She said, grinning at herself in the mirror. Then something hanging on the mirror caught her eye.

Idle hands are the devil's playthings.

***

The next day, Veronica and Reggie sat with Archie and Betty in the student lounge. Fangs, Sweetpea and Jughead played fuse ball in the corner. Perfect timing for a bombshell to be dropped.

Lexy strolled into the room. She pretty much avoided all of them like the plague when she was in school, and now here she was, walking into a room full of her old friends as if nothing had happened. It became clear why she was there however when she began fiddling with Veronica's pearls which were hanging around her neck.

Veronica stared at her in shock, along with everyone else. They didn't quite know what was going on but they knew it probably wasn't good.

Lexy planted herself in front of Veronica while everyone else remained silent. A venomous smile crossed her face.

"Well you guys all love keeping secrets together, so obviously you're all fully aware of the fun I've been having these past few weeks." She said to the group.